Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Member with question about using on-board flash

New Member with question about using on-board flash

Hiya, I am new to dSLR photography and would really appraciate some advice for making the most of my on board flash whilst I am saving for a speedlight. I would really appreciate tips on using it as a fill in flash in harsh light to reduce the shadows in portraits.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th September 2011 at 08:17 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New Member with question about using on-board flash

Vicky

As you can see, I've now copied your introductory post into this section.

Real Name
    Stig

Hello Vicky

To get the onboard flash to work as a fill flash you have to get out of auto and program mode - at least that's the way it works on my Nikon D90. In aperture mode on the D90 the flash is automatically set to work as a fill flash. In manual mode you'd have full control. In this mode I usually dial down the flash intensity to between -1 and -2 (1/2 to 1/4 power) and fire away. it is in my opinion important to have a good eposure setting to begin with, so I start by setting a proper "unaided" exposure, and then dial in the fill flash to taste within the limits I mentioned above.

Others more knowledgeable members will probably chime in in time.

Good luck

Stig

Real Name
    Richard

One possible concern to be considered when using the onboard flash as fill light outdoors is that some lens hoods will block some of the light from the flash causing a dark oval at the bottom of your frame when shooting in the landscape mode and at one of the sides when shooting in the portrait position. This is just something you need to test by shooting at a blank wall. I don't know all of the lens hoods that are big enough to cause this shadow but the hood for the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens is one of these...

Real Name
    Tom

One little inexpensive gadget that I have used to help with on-board flash is the Gary Fong Puffer, which is a diffuser that attaches to the hot shoe and covers the pop-up flash to diffuse the light. It certainly isn't a miracle worker, but it improves the overall appearance of the pop-up flash to my eye. Here's a link: http://www.adorama.com/GAPUF.html FWIW.

Thank you, i will see if I can find one of these in the UK, I have been trying to use a white piece of paper or a tissue to diffuse the flash but this would be a lot easier.

I tend to work in AV for portraits. I will read the maunal to work out how to dial down the intensity of the flash in the Canon 60D is am guessing in need to put the flash in manual mode. (I am working my way through the manual and practising as i go along!). Will using the flash exposure compensation help in the same way?
    Last edited by vickylou; 16th September 2011 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Vicky

As you can see, I've now copied your introductory post into this section.
    Thank you very much for posting it for me.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by vickylou View Post
    Thank you, i will see if I can find one of these in the UK, I have been trying to use a white piece of paper or a tissue to diffuse the flash but this would be a lot easier.
    Hi VickyLou,

This looks better too

At Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZXU19A

Quote Originally Posted by vickylou
    I will read the maunal to work out how to dial down the intensity of the flash in the Canon 60D is am guessing in need to put the flash in manual mode. (I am working my way through the manual and practising as i go along!). Will using the flash exposure compensation help in the same way?
    Yes.

If you are familiar with normal Exposure Compansation (EC), as you'd use in Av mode in daylight, there is a flash equivalent, "FEC" (guess what the F stands for ), it shouldn't be necessary to go to manual, although of course you can if that suits the conditions, or how you like to work, better.
    On your camera body (which I am not familiar with), there is probably a little lightning flash symbol with a +/- beside it, press and hold while adjusting as you would normal EC and it will adjust FEC. Well, that's how it works on a Nikon and I don't suppose Canon 60D is any different.

Which bit of Surrey are you in? the bit near me? or down south?

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi VickyLou,

This looks better too

At Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZXU19A

Yes.

If you are familiar with normal Exposure Compansation (EC), as you'd use in Av mode in daylight, there is a flash equivalent, "FEC" (guess what the F stands for ), it shouldn't be necessary to go to manual, although of course you can if that suits the conditions, or how you like to work, better.
    On your camera body (which I am not familiar with), there is probably a little lightning flash symbol with a +/- beside it, press and hold while adjusting as you would normal EC and it will adjust FEC. Well, that's how it works on a Nikon and I don't suppose Canon 60D is any different.

Which bit of Surrey are you in? the bit near me? or down south?

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...
    Thank you for your help, I worked out how to use the FEC and it does make a difference. I tried to bounce the on board flash off a piece of white card too. I want to make the on board flash as useable as possible until I can afford a speedlite. Slometimes I just need to use it to reduce shadows etc but had not been liking how flat it makes everything and white washed. I am just learning to I expect alot is down to my novice technique.

I live in Farnham so not far away.