Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some furry friends

Real Name
    Peter

Some furry friends

Just back from a 3 week trip through the Simpson Desert thedriest part of Australia. With the rains over the last couple of years thedesert is looking flush with life from wild flowers to animals feeding on the abundantfood.

Here are a couple of kangaroos we saw on the way. The firstthree are called Euros and have larger ears than most kangaroos. They areshorter fatter type of roo but very cute.

The last is a red kangaroo that I caught in mid flight. Wewere travelling around 35 kph on a dirt road and we flushed this roo out. Itwas keeping pace and I managed to get one shot away before it deviated awayfrom the car.

Some furry friends

Some furry friends

Some furry friends

Some furry friends

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Some furry friends

Peter

Good to see you posting up images again. Hope you enjoyed that journey.

In that first one, did you tell it to stand there, just behind those flowers!? And the last one shows the power in those legs wonderfully well.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow. Kangaroos are cute.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Sahil and Donald.

The first shot was taken in a national park and they are used to cars coming and going so not as timid as say the last shot where the roo was flushed out and I had one shot out of the car window. In #1 the roo sat there just looking at us so I had time to work the shot. Seeing the roo backlit with all the wildflowers provided a great opportunity. As the roo stayed steady we also had time just to put the camera down and take in this wonderful picture.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Peter, I love the action in the 4th shot with the Red Roo. Have you done an post processing on these? If not, you could try to get some additional separation on #4 to get the Roo to stand out more from the background. And perhaps clone or crop out the branch on the extreme right? Nice catch on the fly!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Frank,

They were all shot in RAW. Because 1 - 3 were backlit I needed to pump up the colour, as they were rather flat which is expected with light from that direction.

The issue with #4 was one of white balance whereby to get the top half correct the bottom half had a blue cast, being lit by reflected light from the sky in the shadow area. I decided to process for the shadow detail, as this was looking ugly, then desaturated the top half a little to bring it back more into line.

Ah, photography - what a compromise.