Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Panasonic DMC FZ100

Real Name
    Malcolm

Panasonic DMC FZ100

My brother-in-law wants to get a digital camera and asked my advice. He does not want a DSLR with interchangeable lenses etc but does want a fairly high end camera with good zoom capability, good sized LCD screen with angling possible, but also a eye viewfinder, plus the usual other goodies. Important to him is a good ISO top end and good lens with little shutter delay. He has been to the local camera store where the sales people are talking him towards the Lumix G3, but given this is fairly expensive and has the ability to interchange lenses which he does not need or want and the standard lens does not give great zoom range I have suggested that the Panasonic DMC FZ100 is a better bet and quite a bit cheaper (£330/340 as opposed to £440/450). The capabilities of the FZ100 are, I think, better. Any thoughts or advice - is there another option I should point out to him that offers similar or better capability/features etc?

Real Name
    Philip

Re: Panasonic DMC FZ100

Malcolm - If improved image quality at higher ISOs is important, it would seem that the FZ150 is worth waiting for -

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...iew/conclusion

Philip

Real Name
    Malcolm

Thanks Philip. Your comments are very helpful - My brother-in-law has a daughter who is an accomplished national competition Ballroom and Latin dancer and getting great photos of her dancing are very difficult. Always indoors with artificial and not very good light, moving fast and an inability to use flash all make photographing her in action a real challenge. The extra ability to push the ISO is needed. I know.I have tried with mixed results. I will pass on your advice.

Real Name
    Aydogan Akyuz

Hi Philip,

In fact, FZ 150 is almost the same as FZ 100 (especially from the viewpoint of sensor size) in addition to most of features remains as in FZ 100. To me, There is some improvement in the internal picture processing program, which was a main subject of noise complaints in the previous model of FZ 100.

Aydogan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

If you can get a camera that can shoot RAW (I don't think these do), you retain the ability to employ much better noise cancelling technology in PP, then sharpen after the noise is removed.

The problem with jpg only (especially small sensor) cameras at high iso is that they look noisy because the noise gets sharpened irrevocably into the image at the time of capture.

Of course if the user isn't going to PP, it is a moot point, they'll just have to live with it

HTH,

Real Name
    Aydogan Akyuz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    If you can get a camera that can shoot RAW (I don't think these do), you retain the ability to employ much better noise cancelling technology in PP, then sharpen after the noise is removed.

HTH,
    Hi Dave, yes, it can shoot also RAW, for the curious guys..