Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning Feeding!

Real Name
    Kori

Morning Feeding!

Caught this little fellow in action as I was getting ready to leave for the day of picture taking up North on our land....
    Just wanted to share!
    These little guys are so cute!

Sooooo Now - improvement suggestions....
    Will read when I return tonight! Thanks in advance!!!!

Morning Feeding!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Morning Feeding!

To be honest, I'm not sure what could be done to improve this - possibly a small adjustment to lift the mid-tones slightly?

The composition isn't anything flattering - but there's absolutely nothing that you could have done about that (other than to "set the scene" perhaps with a little hand-feeding).

Perhaps a rotation to square up some of the vertical and horizontal likes? (sorry, I'm not on a photoshop enabled PC right now, so I can't play with the image).

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kori,

I'm glad to see a picture from you so soon and a pretty good one at that.

Given that you've little choice but to shoot the birdie where it sits, I'll deal with potential post processing improvements.

Firstly you've done well with exposure and contrast on this as posted and the remaining points are all quite minor and I wouldn't have mentioned them at all if you said you'd like something constructive by the time you return! (Hope I'm not too late)
    If mine, to wring every last ounce of improvement from it, I would try;
    1) straightening, by rotating clockwise to even up the verticals
    2) Selectively 'burn' the highlights on right hand side to reduce their high brightness
    3) Maybe a little less final sharpening

I tried some shots of birds at a feeder last week at my sister's house, but they were all so awful they got deleted.

Well done and I hope that's what you had in mind for comments.
    looking forward to some more as a rsult of today's 'shooting up north'.

Regards,

Real Name
    Kori

Thanks to both Dave and Colin!

Dave- I will try those suggestions! thank you!I was in a bit of a hurry as we were getting ready to leave soon....

Colin - thanks for your opinion also!

I appreciate all suggestions!
    I will post one thing tonight from our trip - then I think I will be crashing...TOO much walking around...I'm out of shape! I am beat!
    I'll start a new thread for the pict though!

Thanks guys!!!

Real Name
    Chris

given that it is necessary (or at least recommended practice) to select birdie only for sharpening, I would be sorely tempted on as good a bird shot as this to paste it onto a background made up from the brown reflection at the centre - unless it is going to pose for you regularly.

If it was my birdie I would also put a very soft edged selection on the eye and a bit below and 'cocktail enhance' a touch of shadow protection, a touch of contrast/brightness....whatever, as I suspect that there is a lot more detail in the eye than shows up at present.

Real Name
    Kori

Dave-

Thank you! I will have to play a little to see what I can come up with for a background....I'm not that good yet on making backgrounds - I usually mess them up pretty bad. But I will try! LOL