Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bahama Ferry Ride

Real Name
    Liz

Bahama Ferry Ride

I took these in May this year, and you will now see is of many reasons why I am wanting a new telephoto zoom lens. The color is pretty accurate. I have never seen such beautiful blue colors in nature anywhere else in my life. The guy in #3 is my hubby, contemplating all the fish he was about to go out and catch! Liked the frame! Comment away all my Obi Juans

Bahama Ferry Ride
    Bahama Ferry Ride
    Bahama Ferry Ride

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Bahama Ferry Ride

Nice color... I wonder if a bit of corpping might not add some interest. Of course if you ask three different photographers how they would crop any one image, you will probably get three different ideas.

However I would crop both the top and bottom of the first two images making them look more like a panorama. I would crop the third image through the overhead board on the pier sign and on the left through the piling, effectively making a frame from the pilings and the back of the sign.

Hope you don't mind but I tried the different crop on image #1.

Bahama Ferry Ride

Real Name
    Liz

I like the cropping. I hadn't done anything to the photos at all. So I will play with them. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nice color... I wonder if a bit of corpping might not add some interest. Of course if you ask three different photographers how they would crop any one image, you will probably get three different ideas.

However I would crop both the top and bottom of the first two images making them look more like a panorama. I would crop the third image through the overhead board on the pier sign and on the left through the piling, effectively making a frame from the pilings and the back of the sign.

Hope you don't mind but I tried the different crop on image #1.

Bahama Ferry Ride

Real Name
    Liz

Ok...I cropped it, but it is a little crooked. That doesn't help much. If I made it bigger it got the sky in, which I thought you were telling me to take out. What do you think?
    Bahama Ferry Ride

Real Name
    Liz

ROFL...different shot. I am a ditzy blonde!

Real Name
    Liz

Here's the right one
    Bahama Ferry Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy310 View Post
    ROFL...different shot. I am a ditzy blonde!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice shots Liz (for a ditzy blonde )

I agree with Richard that some cropping is necessary. I think his take on #1 is pretty good. I don't know what's to the right of the picture but it would look a little more balanced if there were a bit more of the structure in frame. #2 I would probably crop about the bottom third off. With number 3 I would not be quite so severe with the crop and definitely rotate it a bit to straighten it up.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Liz,

In Elements, while you are cropping, you can easily fix horizons like this, all in one go;

First select the crop tool, then make a long thin crop outline thus;
    Bahama Ferry Ride
    If you position the mouse cursor outside the crop, see how it changes to a little bent double arrow?
    (on right here)
    You can click and drag (inside the selection) to position it better
    You can click and drag (outside selection) to rotate the crop to align one of the edges with the horizon
    Bahama Ferry Ride
    Then use the horizontal and vertical handles to expand the selection to what you want the crop to really be (don't go over the edges, check all four corners and adjust each side individually as necessary)
    When happy, double click inside the area to confirm selection (or use green tick)

Job done

Alternatively, there's a grid you can turn on and off via the "View" menu item, but this way is quicker

The above for Elements, but same idea can be done in CS5.

Cheers,