Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Exploring Macro

Real Name
    Tom

Exploring Macro

After alot of hard saving I finally picked myself up an 85mm f3.5 Micro VR a few days ago. Bad weather has driven me indoors but I've still made some opportunity's to use it.

Feel free to give me your comments or constructive criticism as you see fit. Thanks for lookng

Exploring Macro

Exploring Macro

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Exploring Macro

Very good to see non-nature related macros.

Cool shots.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

First let me echo Bobo and say that I love non-nature macros. I'm working on some myself. I've looked at these two images a few times trying to come up with some thoughts. The concept is really good especially the type set in the second image. My initial thought is that the first image lacks that "pop" that gets it from really good to great. I wonder if there is enough contrast to convert to B&W combined with some sharpening. The second image is very intersting. I found myself trying to come up with words made from connected pieces. I like the color in the second image a great deal. The background that shows through works well. There seems to be a dark spot in the bottom right that draws my eye a bit too much. In any case, that's 2 cents from a guy that still has lots to learn. As always, I defer to those with more experience. Well done Tom!

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks guys! Although I think that deep shadow is an important part of image 2, I agree that the bottom right is too dark, ill re-shoot it tonight and see what I can come up with. As someone who churns out mostly B+W images I want to keep these in colour really, I enjoy the golden section of the key in amongst all the browns and rusts. I have done a B+W of the letters and it works quite well. Thanks for your comments, you've given me some food for thought I will post round 2 of the letters when its done.

Real Name
    Keith

Nice shots Tom, especially #1. It looks as though macro inspiration is spreading I've been working on some again and hope to be posting soon.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I saw the re-work of the second shot entered into one of the mini competitions. Very Nice!

Real Name
    Tom

Thankyou! I much prefer the newest version in the mini comp. I have a feeling it will not be the last time I shoot the letters though!