Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Time to Move On

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Time to Move On

OK. I couldn't stand all those wonderful macro images being posted and not having a macro lens. So, I just got my 'poor man's' macro lens, otherwise known as a set of extension tubes and a slide rail.

Hmmm, nothing interesting enough to shoot that would make effective use of the tubes just yet, and as I haven't shot anything but available light for many years I thought i'd start out simple. I'll learn what I can about the slide rail and use a single CFL light to see what I can learn then ease into the tubes as I gain confidence.

Here is the first attempt so any C&C is appreciated but mostly I'm trying to learn the pitfalls of shooting with a slide rail and how to get effective lighting of small objects.

The cell phone is sitting on a piece of glass suspended about 1 1/2" over a piece of white posterboard. The CFL is low and left of the camera. The purple background is a Photoshop layer using the color picker to copy the cell phone color. Tom is a gift to my wife from a friend of hers.

Time to Move On

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Time to Move On

Good one Frank..certainly got my attention.. Time to Move On ....Time to Move On

Love the chicken, and hoping that my Mrs. won't see this as she collects little chicken things..(we're running out of chicken spots!).

Seems a bit bright to me, especially around the base. Any chance you can tone down the light a bit by having it shine through a thin cloth, or reflect it off of a another surface?

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 5th September 2011 at 06:10 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Seems a bit bright to me, especially around the base. Any chance you can tone down the light a bit by having it shine through a thin cloth, or reflect it off of a another surface?
    Hi Mike, Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback.

Sounds like good advice so I backed the light up to soften and tried again. This is the first shot with the 12mm extension tube on my normal lens. As long as it's macro, tripod and all that stuff, I figured that it should be in focus so I worked on the focus and lighting in this one. The result is that I'm 'Pinning my Hopes on Number Two'. LOL!

Time to Move On

Is this better? Any other C&C?
    Last edited by FrankMi; 6th September 2011 at 01:15 AM.