Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Goodbye Summer 2011

Real Name
    Ahmed

Goodbye Summer 2011

Goodbye Summer 2011

Mod Update
    A question: when I tried to use a grey filter to damp the effect of sun rays, another image for the sun disk appears beside the original image. Anyone knows the reason?
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th September 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Goodbye Summer 2011

Hi Ahmed,

Well, listening to the torrential rain outside my window at the moment, I am inclined to agree with the thread title.

I tend to think of Egypt being almost equatorial (I'm probably a thousand miles off, geography never was my strongest subject at school), so do you have seasons there?

I know you'd lose some of that nice coloured sky, but I do wonder if a crop to place the horizon on the upper third would give greater emphasis to the sun, sea and beach+person.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ahmed

Hello Dave,

Egypt is in north Africa (latitude and longitude are 30:06 N & 31:25 E respectively). Egypt is bordering the Mediterranean Sea (North), Sudan (South), Libya (West) and Gaza strip (East) . There are four seasons, generally it is hot, dry summers with moderate winter. The weather in winter is fantastic especially in Alexandria (my beloved city ).

Thanks for your comment, I will take care of them next time.

Rgds

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Shahat View Post
    Goodbye Summer 2011

Actually; this is the worst summer I ever had. I've been stuck in a house the size of a rabbit hutch during the nice weather because of back pain, and when I could get out the pain was too much for taking great photo's; couldn't move much.

Now the doctor doesn't think I'm faking it I get a hospital appointment, but when it is fixed it will be raining all the time. Great.

Nice photo; in fact I even like the noise and the sun is great.

Real Name
    Richard

Ahmed... I like the image but, I agree that cropping some of the sky would place more emphasis on the lone figure and the setting sun.

How have recent events in your country impacted you? I hope all is well with you personally.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Really beautiful, Ahmed!

The two primary colors complement each other very well. The image follows my personal version of the 'rule of thirds', have something interesting in each third of the image. Here, you have the lovely pink sky with the setting sun in the top third, the beautiful blue tempestuous sea in the middle third and the lone figure on the beach in the lower third. All three complement each other nicely. This is one of the best images I've seen you post!

I do agree with Dave on the size of the sky, however. There are two things that I feel would strengthen the image. Bring the horizon a little closer to the 1/3rd point and stretch the image just enough to get a 2:1 aspect ratio.

I hope you don't mind if I demonstrate what I am seeing in my mind...

Goodbye Summer 2011
    Last edited by FrankMi; 4th September 2011 at 02:06 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

There was an identically titled copy of this with a question from Ahmed.

I have put the question above and removed the other threads, as there were no answers there.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Shahat View Post
    Goodbye Summer 2011

Mod Update
    A question: when I tried to use a grey filter to damp the effect of sun rays, another image for the sun disk appears beside the original image. Anyone knows the reason?
    Hi Ahmed. From what I understand, any time you shoot directly into the sun, moon, or any other sufficiently bright object, you risk getting a reflection of the object inside the lens which produces a 'flare'. When you add a filter, it increases the chance and intensity of the flare. This is the reason I do not use filters when shooting into the sun for sunset images.

Real Name
    Wendy

This is such an expressive image and very well titled. The sun looks sweltering hot the water looks icy cold and the lone person, well I can only imagine what they are feeling.
    When I look at this I can relate to the sweltering heat we are having right now and have had this summer, and the ocean reminds me of the cold that is on the way. The lone person is a symbol of endurance and makes me think that when it comes to Mother Nature sometimes all we can do is observe and are helpless to do anything else.

I think Dave has a good point about the crop, less sky would intensify the effect.

Wendy

Real Name
    Ahmed

Dears,

I am so grateful for your nice and encouraging words and comment. I totally agree with Dave's comment. I did the modification already but Frank was faster than me . BTW, I don't mind at all you post the modified photo.

I hope that Steve is feeling better now. I am expecting to see wonderful photos from him shortly.

Reference to the question from regarding the recent events in Egypt, things are moving in the positive direction slower that our expectations. Alexandria is still a beautiful and charming city.

Again, Thanks to all of you.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

A lovely scene Ahmed.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Really lovely image Ahmed. As I live in the Southern hemisphere though this Picture is saying "welcome summer" to me though I'm so happy that winter is finally over and this Picture just reminds me of the great weather I have to look forward to