Thread: Otter in the reeds

Otter in the reeds

An otter swimming in the reeds
    Otter in the reeds
    Otter 3 by Bobby Canon, on Flickr

Real Name
    Keith

Re: Otter in the reeds

An excellent image with lots of detail in the fur and the all important catchlight in the eyes. Possibly a little tight on the right but hey, he's swimming away from that anyway Nice one Bobby.

Thanks a lot for the comment Keith. It was hard work keeping up with him as he seemed to be on a high, repeatedly darting back and forth at a great speed.

Real Name
    Richard

Nice capture...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bobby, other than the annoying watermark, it's a beautiful image! Any text in an image will grab your eye and tear it away from the subject and in this location it is distracting to the point of runing the image, well, at least for me it is. <sorry> Try it without the watermark and see what you think.

Just beautiful Bobby. I had a crush on otters in my early teens and fancied myself trudging around the Devon countryside in mid winter like Henry Williamson (without the goose step) searching for a sight of spraint or the elusive ripple. Well the bus cost too much and me mam wouldn't let me go but I still have a soft spot and periodically read Williamson's indulgent masterpiece of typeface photography. Never did get to see a wild otter but I had to be dragged away from the otters at Paradise park in Cornwall. By the way I heard that there are now otters in every county in England to I may get to see a wild one yet. I will keep a close eye on the Mersey Diversion

Otter in the reeds

Thanks for the comments everyone. Frank, I take your point regarding the watermark, but a while ago, I had lots of my images stolen, re-posted as belonging to other people, and blogged in all sorts of undesirable places, so I'm afraid the watermarks are applied to all my images now. I use transparent text in a bid to make them less intrusive, and blend in with the colours in the image. Sorry if that spoils the photo for you, but thanks a lot for commenting. Great B&W image Wirefox.

Real Name
    james

I love it . great shot!

Real Name
    Seri

Hello Bobby,

That’s a great image. It’s hard to put it into words, but the way you’ve done it makes it very real for me. I can almost feel what it would be like to be that otter - to feel the water as I swim through it. Hope that makes sense

Like Steve, I’ve never seen an otter, (in the islands we don’t have anything for them to swim in) but I envy one of my friends who regularly gets paid to spend time in the wilds checking out their numbers across the British Isles. He sends me live reports, which makes me long to see them, so it’s good to see a photo like yours which captures one so well.

I find some watermarks intrusive, but not yours. However, I hope you don’t mind if I mention one very small thing. There’s a small grass blade in front of the otter’s face that looks to my eye as if it’s about to go up his nose. I would make it disappear for that reason. But it may just be my quirky way of looking at it, and other people may not find it distracting at all.

(And if you don’t alter your images in that way, please excuse me mentioning it.)

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Brian

Bobby, very cool shot. I like the composition, the colors, and the DOF.
    I agree with Seri about the grass in the nose comment. It probably wouldn't be too hard to that blade just a little shorter
    Well done, thank you for sharing.

Real Name
    Mike

I just love otters. They're quick, powerful and frisky critters, and fasteranhell when in
    the water. If you got him to sit still long enough for a nice photo, that's an automatic
    winner..

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent shot.

Thanks for all your comments. Here it is again with the offending blade of grass quickly removed. Sometimes things are so obvious that you just don't see them Thanks for bringing it to my attention Seri
    Otter in the reeds
    Otter 3 by Bobby Canon, on Flickr

Real Name
    Brian

Perfect