Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not sure about these

Real Name
    Myra

Not sure about these

It was so nice at the farm this morning that I just grabbed my camera and started wandering around snapping here and there just to prolong having to get back in the car and drive home. So, here are two with just some sharpening and contrast tweaks in DPP (more on the first than the second). I don't ever remember getting such a 3D look before. Also, the background of one of these shots is so blurred it's almost a non background. I was using aperture priority almost wide open (I was just experimenting with different settings), and focussing on one post. I've used the lens at 1.8 many times in the past, but don't remember the results looking quite like this. Is this just a fluke, or does this "effect" happen quite often?

Not sure about these
    IMG_5289 fence and field by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

1/1500 f/1.8 iso 100 (shot in aperture priorty)
    Lens 85 mm

Not sure about these
    IMG_5294 fence and field by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

1/2000 f/2 iso 100 (shot in aperture priority)
    Lens 85mm

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Not sure about these

Hi Myra, good to see you coming around again on a regular basis. Are you still working with the horses?

On these images, I am not sure what effect you mean unless you are referring to the very shallow Depth of Field which is certainly to be expected when shooting at f/2. If shallow DOF is not what you are referring to please explain.

I like the shots, but would probably crop about a third on the right and clone the uneven looking trees on the left in the first shot in order to give more space to the part that is in focus. Ummm, maybe lighten the shadows a touch too.

Wendy

Real Name
    Myra

Hi Wendy!

I guess they looked almost 3D to me. I get why that is now, though. (Still learning!) The grasses in the foreground (with the shallow dof) are as out of foucus as the background which makes the subject really stand out. Not thinking at all when I posted them.
    These are not good photos at all, so I didn't bother to crop them. They just looked really different to my eyes... which are a bit overworked

Yes, still with the horses. Today was the first day back to school for the teachers. As soon as that was over with, I hustled myself out fo the barn, went for a trail ride and then videotaped two riding lessons for a friend (also the barn owner). She needed a tape of herself to be considered for a spot in a dressage clinic that is coming up. I was kicking myself because I had not taken my camera and the sky was just "wispy paint brush" beautiful after the sun set. I am trying to contribute more. Sometimes life just gets too busy

Hi, Myra! For just fiddling around shots - they're really lovely. What a beautiful light! I love these country fences - so practical and so beautiful. I haven't gotten a shot of them, yet, that I like, though. I like yours!

I know that you understand dof and all but.... you sound like me - experimenting with the subtleties and what you can do with it - just thinking about it. Your thoughts just sound so familiar. sigh. I lurve dof!

Real Name
    Brian

Hello Myra, I THINK the effect you are asking about is the due to the relative distance between the focal point and the background. The greater that ratio, the blurrier it gets I think.
    By the way, neat photos. I like the colors.

Real Name
    Myra

Thanks! Also, Brian, those flowers in the front, because they were not in the focus range, gave some depth to the whole thing. Next time, I might try something like that on purpose

Katy, you are so right about experimenting. However, I don't understand all about dof, yet I get the basics, but just discovered what the adep (or whatever it's called) button is for! Oh, my....

Hey, Myra! Have you read the most excellent tutorial on Hyperfocal Distance? It's not exactly what this is about (or, maybe, it is I'm a bit distracted, at the mo.) but it is definitely in the ballpark. It was what made me consider an awful lot about how I use dof to express what I want to say by focussing on what's important and how much else is out of focus. Even though I had read it when I first came, after practicing for months, when I went back to read it, it opened up to me in a whole different light. Have I already mentioned that I love dof? It is such a fun, fun, fun thing to work with - whether it's shallow or deep or, even better, yet, just what you meant it to be!