Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sterling Silver

Real Name
    Terry

Sterling Silver

Recently, I accepted an assignment to shoot a sterling silver coffee/tea/table set. It is a Gorham Buttercup Pattern service/table setting set and the assignment was to shoot each of the individual pieces and groups of like pieces for the purposes of sale or auction.

I quickly found that it was to be like shooting a house of mirrors with lighting!

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the client was happy with the sales shots and retrieved the set before I could really have a chance to play around with it much. Seems that immediately after I delivered the requested shots the set sold and I never got to see it again.

These are the only two “glamour” shots I got the chance to do much with while I had possession of the set and did this mostly for my own amusement.

I’m not so sure how “glamorous” they turned out, but it was certainly an interesting assignment overall. I would probably have done a couple of things differently in retrospect, but I guess that is the point of hindsight!

The China was not part of the set, but I chose it for the delicate floral pattern, which I liked, but had hoped would not detract too much from the silver pieces.

Now, I’m getting other requests for this same type of product shoot. I’m not sure it is really my “cup of tea”!

Sterling Silver

Sterling Silver

Comments would be welcome.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Sterling Silver

I think you did a pretty good job, Terry. For one thing, you got paid and the item was sold so that means you really did a good job!

I think silverwares would be seductively portrayed using a dark background. That would make the shot low-key but with those nice reflections on the metal it would really be enticing to look at. Rob Marshall is the master of that kind of Photography here.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Interesting story and a nice pair of shots Terry, no wonder you've been quiet (glad you're back).

It would have been nice to have had time to play with reflections of the candle flame in the silverware I think.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Tommy

I think you did a sterling job Terry! (sorry couldn't resist!)

As Willie said, I think the second one could have done with a darker, more contrasting tablecloth, but it's still nice. Cool refelections, and the exposure looks spot on to me!

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Rob Marshall is the master of that kind of Photography here.
    unfortunately Rob is no longer an active member here, but do a search under the profile names "Rob Marshall" and "Carregwen" and you should come accross a kitchen series he did. Some great pics there that you could use for inspiration.

Real Name
    Terry

Willie, Dave, Tommy, thank you for viewing and taking the time to comment.

I really wish I could have had more time with these items. This is not something that I have just laying around the house! Nor will I ever. It is a very expensive set. And quite frankly, I’ve now had enough of silver polishing to last me a lifetime!

I had only one chance at some “fun” shots and I was looking toward a more high key kind of thing at the time. Mostly for my own benefit, but I agree that a black background might have been a bit more enticing. I suppose I could always take it back in to the editor and come up with something, and just might when I get a moment or three.

It’s nice to be back, Dave, and thank you for that, sir. I just found it hard to take the time to post and then the time to respond and follow up.

I guess Life is what happened to me while I was making other plans!