Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lighthouse Abstract

Real Name
    Ron

Lighthouse Abstract

An inside view looking up the stairs in the St Augustine Lighthouse from about half way up the climb.This lighthouse was on an episode of Ghost Hunters and is supposed to be haunted.If you pay $25 you can climb it at night on the weekends and see for yourself.Will have to try it on a full moon and hope to get some photo's of the moon while i'm up at the top.C&C are very welcome.Thanks for viewing...Ron

Lighthouse Abstract

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lighthouse Abstract

Ron

Is that the full frame, or is it cropped?

I wondered why you went for the composition as we see it here, rather than go very abstract and put the view up the middle more into the middle of the frame? I feel as if I want to pull up the top edge and see more of the spiral pattern going up the way.

If you can easily go back tot eh location, it would be interesting to compose that shot in different ways to see how they would work.

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Ron

Is that the full frame, or is it cropped?

I wondered why you went for the composition as we see it here, rather than go very abstract and put the view up the middle more into the middle of the frame? I feel as if I want to pull up the top edge and see more of the spiral pattern going up the way.

If you can easily go back tot eh location, it would be interesting to compose that shot in different ways to see how they would work.
    This image is almost a full frame.I cropped just a little around the edges to remove some distractions in the photo.This image here is another view looking up from the ground floor.The lighthouse has 7 platforms that allows a person to take a break as there climbing up, but that also keeps the steps from making a complete revolution around the walls of the lighthouse.As far as going back,yes that is a definite possibility as there is much more to photograph there than what i have here.Thanks for the input Donald.

Lighthouse Abstract

Real Name
    Tommy

The 2nd pic has a lot more going for it. I really really like it.

I'm not sure it doesn't need a miniscule CW rotation (look at the dark area at the bottom, it seems slightly higher on the right than the left). I think if you straighten it out you have a real winner

Real Name
    Seri

I agree with Donald and Tommy. The second photo is superb. I'm still too new at photography to say why, but it's as intriguing as an Escher and my eyes can't stop enjoying it

Seri

I liked this when I saw it on Flickr. I was going to suggest the crop but He Who Must Not be Named beat me to it. Actually looking at the two together I do prefer the full frame version.

Wow, Ron! I like them both! If the first one was, indeed, cropped up a little more, it would look tremendously like the inside of a shell. (I need one of our beloved science guys to tell me which kind.) and, I love that....when, something man made reflects what was naturally in the environment. or, when, someone shows how one thing, with a much different scale and material, looks like something else. I love the observation and insight it brings! Beautifully done!

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Tommy,Seri,Steve and Katy.This next image is the same as the second one eith a slight pulling down of the bottom right corner to level out the edge of the platform and converted to black and white.The first one does remind me of a nautilus shell Katy so i'll work on it to give it that apperance a little more.Thanks again to everyone for the kind words...Ron

Lighthouse Abstract

Oh..and on a side note.The dealership that i work for(knock on wood) has a new owner who is installing a whatch dog on all the pc's so my posting during the day will be cut off for the time being except for lunch if i can get to the house and do it there.

Real Name
    Bobo

I like both actually. The first has a sort of seashell look to it.

Real Name
    Jeroen

The first one is great. I like the large empty white place on the left leading to the busy right top. The second one is more balanced but (maybe because of that) I prefer the first.

Nevertheless I really like these, because I love photographs from stairs. You can make a infinite recursive pattern out of them and I really love that. It reminds me of M.C Escher's work. He was a Dutch Artist who like to put mathematical principals and impossibilities in his art. His work is stunning and very inspiring.

Real Name
    Tommy

Good work Ron. I love the edit. Having reviewed the first image you posted with the similarity between that and a shell I am enjoying it a lot more. But I really love the second!

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Bobo,Jeroen,and Tommy.I also love Escher's work and i thought the same thing when i was working on these images Jeroen.Thanks again to everyones input on these photo's.