Thread: Blur

Blur

Blur
    Comments appreciated

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Blur

Hi Jack,

I like the composition and the basic idea, but I don't like the sharpened noise so much.

Perhaps a few pixels space for stem under the right hand bloom too?

HTH,

Dave,
    Actually I didn't do anything to the pic other than adjust the color/contrast a bit and remove a couple of distractions.
    This is the original picture;
    Blur
    maybe because it was a telephoto shot? The picture wasn't cropped, it's what I ended up with hence, the lack of stem on the right.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice concept overall. Posted version much better then the original.

It could do with some noise reduction. But maybe that would not be much of an issue if you tried it in black and white.

Real Name

Hi Jack,

I just looked up a review and it appears the P500 doesn't create RAW files

Thus the things I am seeing, if you didn't sharpen in PP, must be part of the original in camera jpg sharpening applied and the artifacts of having edited and saved the image again, especially as you had to do some brightness and contrast ajustments.

Here's the pertinent EXIF Data;
    Camera Make {0x010F} = NIKON
    Camera Model {0x0110} = COOLPIX P500
    Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) {0x829A} = 10/2500 second ===> 1/250 second ===> 0.004 second
    Lens F-Number / F-Stop {0x829D} = 57/10 ===> ƒ/5.7
    ISO Speed Ratings {0x8827} = 160
    Focal Length {0x920A} = 4032/10 mm ===> 403.2 mm

Can't argue with the shooting info.

You could clone a bit more on to add the stem
    Sorta mad thing I do on occasion

Cheers,

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You could clone a bit more on to add the stem
    Sorta mad thing I do on occasion
    See;
    Blur

First thing I did was an agressive application of Neat Image to blast most of the jpg noise
    Then I added the stem (added 2% to bottom of canvas, then clone to fill it)
    Then I downsized to 700px
    The few remaining noise spots were dealt with by spot healing tool

Looking at it now, I wished I had enhanced th contrast of the left hand stem, it is almost invisible.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Dave,
    Actually I didn't do anything to the pic other than adjust the color/contrast a bit and remove a couple of distractions.
    This is the original picture;
    Blur
    maybe because it was a telephoto shot? The picture wasn't cropped, it's what I ended up with hence, the lack of stem on the right.
    Hello, Jack. When you adjusted the contrast you also increased the "detail" on the background data hence the perception of increased "noise". If you selectively applied the contrast enhancement by using a masking layer it would keep the background "softer". I would agree with Dave, some extra stem for the flower on the right would help make your composition look more balanced. I wish your main subject (the flowers) are sharper, though.

Dave,
    Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, most of what you said you did is over my head. I've only just gotten into digital and I'm feeling my way through it all.
    I do see a much better result in your example and am impressed in your adding a bit of stem to the flower on the right. I guess I have homework to do. :-)
    Cheers and thanks,
    Jack

Jiro,
    Thanks for the input. I wish the flowers were sharper as well, it was just a spur of the moment shot from a distance. I'm trying to play around with digital processing, bit of a steep curve.
    Cheers and thanks,
    Jack

Bobo,
    Thanks, yeah maybe I over did it wth the first pic. I'll have to play around and see what it looks like in b&w.
    Cheers and thanks,
    Jack

Real Name
    Brian

You must learn layer masks! I'm just getting into them myself, and they are VERY powerful for creating the image YOU want.
    I like the composition except for how the light/dark areas of the background interfere with the flowers (in my eye anyway).
    Not sure about the bokeh that camera/lens is producing either. Reminds me a little of my Canon 50 1.8 - it can be very good at times but I don't like it as well when there is a lot of contrast in the out of focus parts.
    Thanks for sharing your photo