Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Images

Real Name
    Debbie

Underwater Images

Hi All,

Finally back in the water after hip operation 7 weeks ago. Here are a few shots I took while on a dive site called Rob's Reef (named after my husband). Beautiful spot here in Port Philip Bay - Victoria - Australia. This spot has the most colourful sponge and coral gardens.

Deb
    Underwater Images

Underwater Images

Underwater Images

Underwater Images

Underwater Images

Underwater Images
    Last edited by wommby; 28th August 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Underwater Images

Very nice images, nicely lit.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Spectacular stuff, Debbie.

I haven't a clue what the challenges of shooting underwater are, but whatever they are, you've overcome them.

Can I maybe suggest you give a bit of space between the images. It makes them easier to view within your post.

Real Name
    Debbie

Good suggestion - how do I do that?

Deb

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Go into 'Edit Post' and after each image in your post, just press the return key to move the one below down a space. Even just a one line space between them, breaks them up a bit.

Just been looking at them again. They are beauties. The clarity is magnificent.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks for the compliments. I have given them a little space now.
    Underwater photography can be very difficult. Wide angle is more difficult than macro because of the lighting. Here is a photo of the system I use with two strobes attached. Then a picture of the different Ports I have for the front depending on whether I am taking macro or wide angle.
    Deb

Underwater Images

Underwater Images

Real Name
    Rob

Stunning shots Debbie, love the colours!

That is some real piece of kit you have there - wow!
    Do you have to use autofocus, or can you manually focus - the images are so clear...?

Real Name
    Richard

Spectacular imagery. IMO, this is a case when the right equipment and exceptional talent blend into a wonderful combination; resulting in breathtaking shots. Glad to see you have recovered. Please keep posting these enjoyable shots...

As with Donald, I am not particularly familiar with your equipment and it looks quite interseting.

You mention "two strobes". Is that a third strobe above the camera or some sort of focus light? Also, I am interested in the diffusers you have on the two strobes which look like they have small circular holes. This is quite interesting because I suspect that this might give a bit of specular light along with the diffuse light. Am I on the right track?

Real Name
    Bill S

Deb,

Fantastic images. I finally have something scheduled to get back in the water too. I have a live-aboard trip scheduled for St Kitts/Saba/St Maarten. I can't wait - though I am a little nervous about the live-aboard part... I get sea sick, so I hope my patches work.

I had wanted to buy another strobe before we went, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford it. For now, here's a look at my setup:

Underwater Images

I think the SeaLife camera might be staying home this trip. We lugged it all the way to Indonesia in January, and I think it got wet once... Shooting with it is just night and day compared to using the 7D.

Can't wait to hit the water again. Hopefully I can take what I learned on my last trip and improve upon it and come back with even better images this time!

- Bill

Real Name
    Bob R

Underwater photography has advanced soooooo far sense my day of using a custom made plexiglass housing with special water tight knobs to turn and push the assorted controls.

Your pictures are beautiful although if I had to pick one, it would be #'s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

Well done.

Real Name
    Bobo

Glad you have been fixed and can go and take pics like these on a regular basis.

Wow shots all of them.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by NoCard View Post
    Stunning shots Debbie, love the colours!

That is some real piece of kit you have there - wow!
    Do you have to use autofocus, or can you manually focus - the images are so clear...?
    Rob,
    depends on which lens I am using. Mostly auto focus with wide angle but often manual focus with a macro lens. Thanks for the compliments. I love diving and getting nice shots but as all photographers - still working and learning and always trying to get something better.
    Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Spectacular imagery. IMO, this is a case when the right equipment and exceptional talent blend into a wonderful combination; resulting in breathtaking shots. Glad to see you have recovered. Please keep posting these enjoyable shots...

As with Donald, I am not particularly familiar with your equipment and it looks quite interseting.

You mention "two strobes". Is that a third strobe above the camera or some sort of focus light? Also, I am interested in the diffusers you have on the two strobes which look like they have small circular holes. This is quite interesting because I suspect that this might give a bit of specular light along with the diffuse light. Am I on the right track?
    Not exactly, this little hole allows is where the focus light comes from and is where I can screw in a red, or blue button. The red button button doesn't scare off the animals as much as white light and blue is for green water. I don't tend to use these much though. I also use a slight yellow filter under the diffusers when shooting wide angle. This is a Lee 444 filter and it helps to make the water bluer but again I haven't used this alot at this stage. I have only recently purchased a new lens for wide angle and it will take a fair bit to master it properly. Hope this all makes sense.

Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Bob,
    Thanks, I don't know which is my favourite either.
    Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Bobo,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them
    Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Richard,

Just reread your post. No, I think what you are looking at, which is on the right side of the handle is my dive computer. I do often use an extra focus light (mainly for night diving) and this attaches to the ball on top of the handle.
    Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Bill,

I meant to say to you, that you have quite a great set up. The 7D is a nice camera and it takes video too. Can't wait to see some of your shots
    Deb

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Debbie,

Great images, but I'm also interested in the kit and have a question; why the square blocks of (what looks like) foam around the arms to the strobes? is it just additional bouyancy?

Thanks,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Wow, Debbie! I almost never see underwater images that are this clear and colourful. I love them!

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Debbie,

Great images, but I'm also interested in the kit and have a question; why the square blocks of (what looks like) foam around the arms to the strobes? is it just additional bouyancy?

Thanks,
    That's exactly what they are, but they are made of some special compound so they don't compress at depth. Don't use them or that amount with all camera/lens set up, just depends again on what combination and weight of that combination as to whether I need more buoyancy or not.
    Deb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast