Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Germain Panoramic

Real Name
    Rob

St Germain Panoramic

This is a 180 deg panorama of the inside of St Germain church in La Chatre, my local town.
    The first time I did it, I blew the windows, so I had to go back and take a series for HDR processing, the thing that attracted my to do this was the fantastic symmetry of the building and the circular wrought iron light fittings.
    I hope I have done it justice.
    Any comments will be well received, as I would love an excuse to go back and do it again!

Please click to view it large (1600px wide)

St Germain Panoramic
    St Germain Pano 1600 by RobN185, on Flickr

Real Name
    Mike

Re: St Germain Panoramic

Interesting lighting... I would think the lighting would be similar on each side due to having the same amount of windows... guess theres something on one side blocking light? Must be amazing to stand there in awe!

Real Name
    Rob

Good observation about the different lighting Mike, I think this is due to the LH side having stained glass, and the RH side having clear glass.
    It is quite a building, and only 100 years old, as the original fell down on 8th December 1896, and was totally rebuilt by 16th October 1904!

Here are two stained glass windows from the church depicting the ruins and the rebuild...

St Germain Panoramic

St Germain Panoramic

Real Name
    Steve

Cool photo. I'm impressed with this kind of panorama.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice Rob. The panorama shows off the ceiling beautifully. The stained glass windows are very nice too. I can see why you want to go back.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A very interesting panoramic view, Rob. Did you wrestle with whether or not to display it horizontal or vertical? I have found that anytime I shoot indoors and the windows are included in the image, I need to shoot a bracketed series of exposures, usually from +2EV to -2 EV.

Real Name
    Wayne

Conventionally, the word panorama denotes a horizontal movement of the lens (or the eyes and head). What makes your image so striking is the fact you moved the lens in a vertical plane. It's just not something we do habitually, be it with camera or head. You stepped outside the box and consequently produced a memorable photographic result.