Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Pics

Real Name
    Matt

First Pics

Hi Everyone,
    I'm fairly new to photography, but have been following the forum for quite some time. I have learned quite a bit from everyone, but putting those learnings into action seems to be the difficult part

So this is my first post with pictures and I was hoping for a few comments on composition, exposure, post-processing, etc. Please don't hold back, I can take it

First Pics

First Pics

First Pics

First Pics

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

Real Name
    Mike

Re: First Pics

Hi Matt,

First, welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing your first images...First Pics

I am very non-technical, so please don't take my comments as being technically analytical. For me, the first two images are nice, but I just love the expression on his face in the third one, plus he has a handful of sand/dirt, meaning he's having a grand time playing...

Mike

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Matt

What is your own view of the images in respect of composition, exposure, post-processing?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Hello, Matt. On pictures #1, 2 and 3 always aim your camera focus on the eyes. When the eyes are in focus you have already won half of it. When your background is a bit busy (like in #1 and 2) this is were a shallow depth of field or the use of a wide aperture will help you blur them out to make your subject stand out. On #1 the blown window highlights doesn't help much on the composition so I suggest you go crop them to a square format. On #2, the framing is a little bit tight so next time I suggest you have some extra headroom and foot room for a more balanced composition. #3 is great, just a little bit soft on the focus and the hand of the child was cut off. #4 is funny and nice. In here, I think some reflection from that glass would make the shot more realistic. You're off to a good start. Hope to see some more from you. Good job.

Real Name
    Matt

Hey Donald, that's a good question. Here are some of my general thoughts:

I like the idea of the wider view showing his size, but it feels dark (except for the window) and I was having a hard time getting all of the vertical lines actually vertical (distortion in my lens?). Also, I feel like the window may be a bit distracting...

I feel like I missing some sharpness here, it may some camera shake, it may be because it's a crop. Like the others, I feel like the background may be a bit busy (it's tough to corral a 1 year old) any suggestions?

Probably my favorite too (like Mike). I like the slight glow around the edges, but I'm wondering if the foreground needs to be lightened more? Maybe the sky?

For some reason this reminds me of the iconic JFK picture (not the one where he looks dead), but I feel like something is off on this and I'm not sure what it is.

Anyway, I guess my original problem is I picked up a camera, enjoyed some basic shots, decided to read some books and websites about photography, and then realized all the things wrong with my pictures

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Jiro,
    It's nice to see that we seem to be on the same page on some of the improvements (I missed your post before I posted mine so I promise I didn't copy). And thanks for the insight on #3 and #4, as a quick question, how would you have gone about getting more reflection on #4?

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by milso View Post
    Thanks Jiro,
    It's nice to see that we seem to be on the same page on some of the improvements (I missed your post before I posted mine so I promise I didn't copy). And thanks for the insight on #3 and #4, as a quick question, how would you have gone about getting more reflection on #4?
    As for your question, we can't. You have to change your camera angle to get the necessary reflections from the glass. Hope this helps.