Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Celebrating being able to post images again

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Celebrating being able to post images again

The full story behind the title is here, if you want to be bored by it.

But, to cut a long story short, I am now able to upload images again. And I went out and about on Sunday. Not to where I'd planned to go, but another location that I've often looked at as I drove past.

It has deteriorated in the uploading to Flickr. There's more 'bite' in the original.

Your views are very welcome. I'm not over-impressed. It's okay, but it's lacking something in the composition, I feel. What do you think?

40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 13mm. ISO200. 1/125@f11

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Celebrating being able to post images again

I like it Donald. Congratulations on resolving your upload problem too.

I like the idea of the post in the foreground but it breaks the horizontal line of the hedgerow and for me is in the way a bit too much. If the top of the post was kept within the foreground field boundary line I think it might benefit the image.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The full story behind the title is here, if you want to be bored by it.

But, to cut a long story short, I am now able to upload images again. And I went out and about on Sunday. Not to where I'd planned to go, but another location that I've often looked at as I drove past.

It has deteriorated in the uploading to Flickr. There's more 'bite' in the original.

Your views are very welcome. I'm not over-impressed. It's okay, but it's lacking something in the composition, I feel. What do you think?

40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 13mm. ISO200. 1/125@f11
    Hi Donald!
    it's nice to see your pictures again!
    I think this is a super picture in deed! I like the details in wheat and in the clouds! where is this valley? in Scotland I suppose, but where more precisely?
    About the picture, you say that there's something missing... perhaps the left pole could make the composition more balanced, and perhaps there is missing the "exit pont" for the viewer's eye (since the entry point is in the bottom left corner..)
    but this is my humble opinion...

thanks for sharing!
    N

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve

That is a hugely helpful observation.

When on location, I had made up my mind that the shot was for the top of the post to be just brushing the edge of the loch. I didn't look at the option (or if I did I subconsciously dismissed it) of the top of the post being on the field boundary.

And why I was so aware of this was because of the challenge of getting the tripod to exactly the right height. With the Tokina 11-16, very small height adjustments to the tripod have significant impact on the relative position of objects that are very close relative to objects that make up the background. So, I has spent ages adjusting the legs by, virtually, millimeters in order to get the top of the post right at the bottom edge of the loch.

But, I think you're right .... damn it!

Conditions are right just now. I think I'll go out and see if I can re-shoot it, just to see what it looks like.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    I think this is a super picture in deed! I like the details in wheat and in the clouds! where is this valley? in Scotland I suppose, but where more precisely?
    Nicola

Thank you.

If you have Google Earth, the location is 56°15'04.73" N 3°24'53.27" W. This is looking down on Loch Leven in Kinross-shire, north of Edinburgh.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Conditions are right just now. I think I'll go out and see if I can re-shoot it, just to see what it looks like.
    Steve

You were right.

It might never make photo of the year, but you were spot on, I think, in terms of the analysis of the composition.

40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 12mm. ISO100. 1/30@f11. 2-stop GND

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

Glad you're able to post images again and also that you had this second shot available (or have you been cloning like a man possessed?)

It's going to sound odd now, but the first thing I thought when I saw this was "shoot higher", but Steve had beaten me to it.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Steve

You were right.

It might never make photo of the year, but you were spot on, I think, in terms of the analysis of the composition.

40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 12mm. ISO100. 1/30@f11. 2-stop GND
    Glad to be of assistance Donald. I agree, it has definately improved the image.

I think this would be a good one for a clear frosty morning. Can you imagine it with a hawthorn frost on the post and fence? Losing the foliage on the trees might help the view to the loch too.

I suppose it isn't too long before the frost will start hitting us again

Real Name
    Myra

Art is subjective! My eyes prefer the first image. No problem with the angle at all as the second post leads my eye to the right tip of the field and from there they go left along the horizon/field. In the changed shot, all I see is the metal gate. I just want to stare at it and kind of miss the rest of the scene.

I love the way you've sharpened the photo to bring out the textures. All your black and whites have that nice "feel" to them.

Glad you've thwarted the posting gremlins, Donald!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Art is subjective! My eyes prefer the first image. ......

I love the way you've sharpened the photo to bring out the textures. All your black and whites have that nice "feel" to them.
    Thanks, Myra. Now you've got me flitting to and fro between the two. Mmm!

I like to think that revealing the texture in my images has been one of the things I do reasonably well. I have to confess that getting Silver Efex Pro 2 to operate on my system has really opened the door to even greater creativity. The 'structure' and 'fine structure' controls (which are NIK version of Local Contrast Enhancement) allow for detailed and specific adjustments on different parts of the image.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th August 2011 at 09:17 PM.