Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Again at Great Falls. I was lucky enough to catch a number of crazy kayakers going down these treacherous falls. I've split the photos into 2 groups according to the individual falls they were on. This group is of the first of the major falls, which means they were further away.

Thank you for viewing and I welcome any and all comments and criticisms.

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Again, thank you for viewing and for sharing your thoughts.

frankie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Kayakers - group 1

Frankie

That's great stuff. Well done. Was that a planned shoot, or were you just in the right place at the right time?

Are these cropped? I wondered about cropping more tightly on the kayakers. The images obviously need to show the scene around in order for the viewer to understand the context, but I wondered if they needed so much around the main subject. If you cut out just enough to leave the story intact, that would increase the size of the main subject in the frame in percentage terms.

You've exposed them very well in order to keep all the detail in the white water.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Frankie

That's great stuff. Well done. Was that a planned shoot, or were you just in the right place at the right time?

Are these cropped? I wondered about cropping more tightly on the kayakers. The images obviously need to show the scene around in order for the viewer to understand the context, but I wondered if they needed so much around the main subject. If you cut out just enough to leave the story intact, that would increase the size of the main subject in the frame in percentage terms.

You've exposed them very well in order to keep all the detail in the white water.
    Thank you Donald!
    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was expecting to stalk some birds and not kayakers, but I had so much fun watching these guys.
    Yes, they are cropped a little. I wasn't sure how much to crop. I can play with cropping a little more to give more focus on the kayakers. I agree that there has to be some context with these shots, especially since these were taken at a distance.

Thanks again! I think I'm discovering that I can shoot people as long as it's sport related

frankie

Real Name
    John

The first set do look more dangerous. I was wondering how much opportunity you had for additional captures and see that this was sort of random images. I had a similar experience a while back photographing surfers on the west coast. My obstacle as you can imagine were the lack of suitable waves for the surfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The first set do look more dangerous. I was wondering how much opportunity you had for additional captures and see that this was sort of random images. I had a similar experience a while back photographing surfers on the west coast. My obstacle as you can imagine were the lack of suitable waves for the surfers.
    I took about 400 photos this evening of the kayakers. I narrowed it down to about 50 and then to these... and this was the first pass - I may still add more or remove some. Here's is a link to the set on Flickr so you can see that there are shots with some continuity... Kayakers Great Falls Park.

I've just started going to this park, so not sure how often these guys are out there in the water. I'm hoping it's a regular thing so that I can continue to perfect my skills at this. I'd also like to try to find better places to shoot. For these I was limited to the overlook and the restricted angles. I hope over the next few weeks to post similar, but better photos.

I do find it ironic that I went to the park this afternoon to do a little hiking and spend some time with nature after work... yet I end up spending the entire time obsessed with photographing these guys!

Thanks for your comments. The one thing I do like about the second group though is that you can see their faces. I like the expressions. But from an action perspective, I see that the first group is better.

thanks again!
    frankie

Donald,
    I did a little more cropping with these.... thoughts?

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Kayakers - group 1

Thank you for your comments.
    frankie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Donald,
    I did a little more cropping with these.... thoughts?
    Brilliant. Well I think so anyway.

I'm no action shot expert, but I think these are high quality images. What you've captured is spectacular ... and you've done it very, very well

I'd really like to read what other people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Brilliant. Well I think so anyway.

I'm no action shot expert, but I think these are high quality images. What you've captured is spectacular ... and you've done it very, very well

I'd really like to read what other people think.
    Thank you! I feel good about these and thank you for your suggestions. I look forward to see what the others think as well.
    Thanks again!
    frankie

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Wow! Thoughts race through my mind like 'phenomenal actions shots' and 'do these guys have a death wish' to 'I wonder if they have life insurance' and 'ouch! that's gotta hurt when they kiss that rock'! All in all, Frankie, a fantastic set of exciting images!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Wow! Thoughts race through my mind like 'phenomenal actions shots' and 'do these guys have a death wish' to 'I wonder if they have life insurance' and 'ouch! that's gotta hurt when they kiss that rock'! All in all, Frankie, a fantastic set of exciting images!
    Thank you Frank! These rapids are classified as extremely difficult, so I would say that these guys are crazy... just my opinion. But luckily they are because in being crazy, they let people like me get some cool photos

frankie

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Frankie,

Yes, the second crops are just right, not too tight to lose the context and yet not so wide as before, so the subject has better prominance and detail.

Good work, wish I was there to have a go,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Frankie,

Yes, the second crops are just right, not too tight to lose the context and yet not so wide as before, so the subject has better prominance and detail.

Good work, wish I was there to have a go,
    Thank you Dave! And anytime you want to visit DC, let me know... Lots of great photo ops all over this area.

Real Name
    Terry

Frankie,

I have been a whitewater kayaker for over 33 years now.

I can confidently say that these are some of the best boating shots I have seen. Anywhere. I have enjoyed them immensely. They would be at home in any boating publication.

From a boating standpoint, I like your originals better than your latter crops. I think they are just about right.

The originals give more of a sense of the relationship between the rapid(drop)/boater in it. With whitewater shots that is important. The extra vertical and horizontal room on the drops, the rocks, all give more a sense of a sense of drama to the each shot. Whitewater kayaking is definitely a dramatic sport. Plus, you can see a bit of the “landing” (where the boaters might land) in a couple of the shots giving an idea of the actual size of the drop. Not as much so in the crops. Shooting too tight is basically a portrait with a water backdrop. The tighter shot becomes more about the boater him/herself rather than the boater and the rapid. There is definitely a place for that, but you lose the sense of that boater/rapid relationship and drama a bit wider shot provides. The purpose of the boater is to run the rapid. Kind of like getting the ball into a shot of a sport that is “ball oriented”, good placement of the boater in the rapid makes for an excellent whitewater shot.

In shot #1 & #5, the boater is performing a “boof”. A technique to run a drop facilitating more of a “flat” landing rather than “stabbing” into the water upon landing. Especially good technique for shallow landings. In the series #2-#4, the boater is performing a “freestyle” move known as a “freewheel”. Best way I could describe it is a type of cartwheel over the falls initiated at the lip of the drop. He was trying to get on a more vertical plane, but was unable to attain straight vertical. Still a pretty nice one, though, and you nailed it by shooting/displaying the series of the move!

These guys are advanced boaters and this is a pretty gnarly drop. If you were in a position to get the appropriate releases (and I can virtually guarantee they would be granted) I would say you had a pretty good chance of getting some of these published. But, you’d probably have to provide a print or two for the boaters’ “I Love Me” wall!

For the record, we may be crazy, but there is no death wish involved! Whitewater kayaking is actually quite safe and the percentage of drownings/injuries is very low. Many more drownings and injuries occur with recreational/casual paddling. Largely due to the specialized skills and equipment required to do what these guys are doing.

Excellent job, Frankie.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Frankie,

I have been a whitewater kayaker for over 33 years now.

I can confidently say that these are some of the best boating shots I have seen. Anywhere. I have enjoyed them immensely. They would be at home in any boating publication.

From a boating standpoint, I like your originals better than your latter crops. I think they are just about right.

The originals give more of a sense of the relationship between the rapid(drop)/boater in it. With whitewater shots that is important. The extra vertical and horizontal room on the drops, the rocks, all give more a sense of a sense of drama to the each shot. Whitewater kayaking is definitely a dramatic sport. Plus, you can see a bit of the “landing” (where the boaters might land) in a couple of the shots giving an idea of the actual size of the drop. Not as much so in the crops. Shooting too tight is basically a portrait with a water backdrop. The tighter shot becomes more about the boater him/herself rather than the boater and the rapid. There is definitely a place for that, but you lose the sense of that boater/rapid relationship and drama a bit wider shot provides. The purpose of the boater is to run the rapid. Kind of like getting the ball into a shot of a sport that is “ball oriented”, good placement of the boater in the rapid makes for an excellent whitewater shot.

Excellent job, Frankie.
    Wow! Thank you Terry.
    I will revisit the crops and also look at some of my other shots from that day as well. I'm assuming these guys are part of a kayaking club in the area, so I'm going to try to reach out and see if I can find them. I have no problem contributing to an I Love ME wall!!!

Thank you again for your comments and for explaining what these guys were doing. Not knowing anything about Kayaking, I had no idea that these moves were actually planned... :-)

frankie

Real Name
    Steve

Great shots. I like #1 of the originals. He appears to be falling into an abyss and knows it!