Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wreck of Iverna

Wreck of Iverna

The recent BBC TV Countryfile programme which was shot in my area BBC TV Countryfile Programme this Sunday 21/08/11 included some film of the old derelict sailing boat, Iverna.

I have attempted numerous shots of this scene from different angles and weather conditions but have always struggled to achieve a decent result.

Wreck of Iverna

Wreck of Iverna

Wreck of Iverna

These were shot last month. The first one is the fifth edit of the shot but I'm still uncertain about it.

And I think the background is too complicated for the third one to work well.

Suitable alternative angles are difficult to find due to the angle of light and the shoreline or other boats/pontoons getting in the way. Maybe an evening shot with the area in light shadow might be worth trying sometime.

I'm not really sure what else to try. I don't have any really wide angle lenses.

Incidentally, the wreckage in the foreground of the first image is all that remains of the Rose of Devon which was beached for repairs around 1944 but eventually abandoned.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 22nd August 2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: photos added.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Wreck of Iverna

Hi Geoff,

I can certainly see why it interests you, and understand about trying to find just the right angel to shoot it at. That wreckage has loads of character, and I have much the same "shot angle" problem with an old railroad carriage over in town.

Have you considered processing some shots in B&W?

Mike

The second shot may well work in B&W; I have a number of experiments in monochrome which have had to be put aside until those dark winter days, so I will add that one to the list.

I suspect there is too much complication and similiarity in background tone for the first and last to work well though.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The second shot may well work in B&W; I have a number of experiments in monochrome which have had to be put aside until those dark winter days, so I will add that one to the list.
    Was just telling my wife yesterday about wanting to get outside and take advantage of the opportunity for outdoor shots before the weather changes. Summer here arrives in July, and leaves in late Sept.. The smells of Fall are already present in the crisp morning air - Old Man Winter won't be far behind. Cool and raining here today, in fact.

The second shot was the one I had in mind, also, and look forward to seeing your results when you get to it.

Mike

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Geoff, I was wondering if there was any way to shoot from above? It might be easier to pick out the shape and how it sits on the bank?

Real Name
    John Wright

Just watched Countryfile on the Podcast,Geoff (6.30am). I often watch it, it's a very interesting programme but we weren't here Sunday. Nice to put a face to a name too-you look very well-must be the healthy sea air The food waste section of the programme was very interesting- we have a separate food waste small kitchen size bin which is collected weekly with the recycle stuff so we do our bit.

Looks a tricky location to get the particular shot you want of the Iverna and ref. wanting a wider angle shot if l lived nearer to your location (it's just over 3 hours drive) I'd have come down with a 17mm lens and full frame camera for you - I expect 3 hours to some on here is just a short trip down the road Lol. From my memory of your location I don't think Frank's suggestion to get a shot from above is feasible is it but the last two here look fine to me,especially the second one. The first one is too busy and as you say the other wreck clutters the image,reflections don't help either and the lack of any contrast too but I'm sure you'll eventually get what you're after and the idea of an evening shot sounds promising.

Yes, your'e right,I think you have to let them win as much as that grieves me - it wouldn't look too good losing, you just have to take it on the chin but we and the locals know who really won

I will keep returning to this scene until something works better.

With the first shot, I left part of the other wreck there because when I shot wider at high tide there was too much blank water which didn't look right. In this example I have cropped a bit tighter than the original and darkened the reflections.

Possibly a different crop, say 2 x 1 ratio might work better. Most of my recent full width shots failed because there was a piece of material caught on the bow section, but I didn't realise it until I reviewed my images back at home. And it would be difficult to clone away.

Too much variation in angle includes other unwanted scenery and boats. And apart from a small area of slippery rocks it means shooting from a dinghy. The only way to get above would include climbing some tall and thin trees, then fighting the herons which nest there.

Real Name
    David Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Too much variation in angle includes other unwanted scenery and boats. And apart from a small area of slippery rocks it means shooting from a dinghy. .
    Hmm - if it was me, I'd try and simplify the shot - definitely monochrome, because the colours don't really add much to the theme, nor does the foliage. I like 2 and 3 best, they evoke the skeletal ribcage of some giant beast! (Or maybe that's just my over-active imagination ) And of 2 and 3, I prefer 2, because its the least busy. I'd make the wreck more prominent by using a wider aperture and blurring the background. I think the textures are interesting and worth bringing out. Worth a try - all you'd have to do is go for a wider aperture and see what happened? All about personal taste though.... Nice subject to keep experimenting with.

~ David