Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures go blurry in Adobe Bridge

Real Name
    Debbie

Pictures go blurry in Adobe Bridge

I have a problem sometimes (but not all the time) when I am using Bridge. I download all my images and always open them in Bridge before opening in ACR before then opening in Photoshop if need be.

My problem is:- Sometimes when I open a folder of images some of the thumbnails of the images have gone all blurry when they weren't before. The only way I can fix this is by opening the image in ACR - make any small adjustment and then close by pressing the Done button. If I make no adjustment the images stays blurry but comes good after I have made an adjustment. This is really annoying because sometimes it can happen to dozens and dozens of images in one folder.

Does any one know if I perhaps have a incorrect setting on something or know what I have done for this to happen.

Please help as this is driving me crazy.
    I will try to upload one of the blurry images. No the image has turned out O.K on the upload but is still blurry on the Bridge thumbnails.

Deb

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Pictures go blurry in Adobe Bridge

Debbie,

Just a thought here. If you are running a Windows based OS (XP, etc.) then next time you get ready to open that file, hit control/alt/delete first and open the Windows Task Manager; select the Performance tab. Then go ahead and open the Bridge program, observing how much memory is being used as the files are loaded in.

I have a 2.4 GHz Duo-Core processor, and there are times there is so much data to be opened up that it takes a bit for it all to load and format clearly. If there wasn't a terabyte of memory in several HD's in this machine, I would have a new one built with faster everything.

Mike

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Debbie,

Just a thought here. If you are running a Windows based OS (XP, etc.) then next time you get ready to open that file, hit control/alt/delete first and open the Windows Task Manager; select the Performance tab. Then go ahead and open the Bridge program, observing how much memory is being used as the files are loaded in.

I have a 2.4 GHz Duo-Core processor, and there are times there is so much data to be opened up that it takes a bit for it all to load and format clearly. If there wasn't a terabyte of memory in several HD's in this machine, I would have a new one built with faster everything.

Mike
    Mike,
    I should have put in that a run an apple computer 21.5" imac computer. Do you have any suggestions for an apple??
    Deb

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    Mike,
    I should have put in that a run an apple computer 21.5" imac computer. Do you have any suggestions for an apple??
    Deb
    No ma'am, none at all as I've unfortunately never even used an Imac. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mike

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks anyway - Mike Hopefully someone will pop up with a solution for me.

Deb

Real Name
    Steve

From my experience, Bridge shows the thumbnails first in a blurry form until it has cached them all. (Cached might not be the right term but it builds the thumbnail preview, you can see it processing in the bottom left of the screen) On my computer this can take a while is there are a couple of thousand RAW files in the folder but is pretty quick on a small folder with just a few files in it.

I have no clue on MAC's but it does sound to be a memory or processor related problem rather than software.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks Steve, Yes I do see the system building the thumbnails and wonder if this has happened because I have closed down the folder before they have all had a chance to be completed. Don't know if this is the problem but even after it has finished all the thumbnails some of them remain blurry.
    Thanks for this info anyway.
    Deb

Real Name
    Mark

My problem with bridge is that when I want to preview an image in the zoom mode to compare sharpness or focus, the zoom window is always pixelated. It didn't always do this, but once it started it never wnet back to normal. I've just given up trying to do this. Any suggestions welcome.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Debbie & Mark,

Pop into the preferences (Edit -> Preferences or Ctrl+K), and then down to Cache then click the button to purge the Cache. Next, pop into Advanced and tick "Generate Monitor-Sized Previews".

Lastly, Pop into the area in the top right of Bridge as per the screen-capture below, and make sure you've got yours set like mine ...

Just remember that when you point Bridge at a folder of RAW files, it will take it a while to extract the thumbnails and regenerate the previews -- you can monitor progress in the bottom left-hand corner area.

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Colin, but it has not solved my problem. What I'm talking about is when I mouse over the image to generate a zoomed in window to check focus/sharpness) it is still pixelated. My previews are generated just fine. What I'm talking about is what Kelby calls the Loupe feature.

Actually just figured it out - it has a zoom feature within the loupe. Just press the plus or minus sign and voila. Go figure - months of frustration. Idiot!!!!

Real Name
    Debbie

Hi Colin,

Have done all of this and it hasn't fixed my problem. Just went into another folder which I haven't been into for some time and it has happened to a lot of the images in here as well. Thanks for this above advice but it hasn't helped.
    Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Mark,
    Glad you have sorted your problem. Wish mine was as easy to fix. Just have to keep being frustrated.

Deb

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Thanks Colin, but it has not solved my problem. What I'm talking about is when I mouse over the image to generate a zoomed in window to check focus/sharpness) it is still pixelated. My previews are generated just fine. What I'm talking about is what Kelby calls the Loupe feature.

Actually just figured it out - it has a zoom feature within the loupe. Just press the plus or minus sign and voila. Go figure - months of frustration. Idiot!!!!
    Hi Mark,

Glad you've got it sorted. The only other thing I know is that when you bring up the loupe, normally I have to wait a few seconds for the program to generate the full resolution data.

Real Name

Mark,
    Glad you have sorted your problem. Wish mine was as easy to fix. Just have to keep being frustrated.

Deb
    Hi Deb,

Hmmmmm. It sounded like corrupt cache entries (and still does). Are you opening DNG raw files?

If all else fails, post a question on the Adobe Photoshop forums.

Any chance you can point me at a full-resolution screen shot of your entire screen?

Sorry
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 30th August 2011 at 12:40 PM.

Real Name
    Debbie

Colin,

I can, if you tell me how. Are you wanting me to take a photo of my screen and then post it? What screen do you want a shot of ie:-
    Bridge or ACR or Photoshop.
    Deb

Real Name
    Terry

This may help with what Colin is asking for, Debbie:

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-tak...ts-with-a-mac/

This will give you a .png saved to your desktop which you can easily convert if need be.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    This may help with what Colin is asking for, Debbie:

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-tak...ts-with-a-mac/

This will give you a .png saved to your desktop which you can easily convert if need be.

Thanks Terry,

Colin, I have followed the above link and hopefully what I post is what you are wanting to see. I have taken one of a image that is fine (the shark) and one of an image that is blurrey (the school of fish) I have also taken one of them side by side in the same image so you can see what some of the previews are looking like.
    Deb

O.K have done this but the files are now a png and won't enlarge. How do I change this?

Real Name

Thanks Terry,

Colin, I have followed the above link and hopefully what I post is what you are wanting to see. I have taken one of a image that is fine (the shark) and one of an image that is blurrey (the school of fish) I have also taken one of them side by side in the same image so you can see what some of the previews are looking like.
    Deb

O.K have done this but the files are now a png and won't enlarge. How do I change this?

Hi Debbie,

Thanks, but I was really after one of the whole screen so that I can see how a few settings look. It's a long-shot though

Are you converting to DNG first?

Real Name
    Debbie

Just trying again. Here is one of the whole bridge screen. The images 4,5,6, & 8 are the ones that are blurry on this lot.

Does this help you Colin or do I need to do something further?

Deb

Real Name
    Debbie

Hi Colin,

Have put up a post with the whole screen on it but not sure if you have seen it yet.

Deb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast