Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 2 towers 2 cranes

Real Name
    Mark

2 towers 2 cranes

2 towers 2 cranes
    taken with a wide angle lens no more than 30ft in front of these 100ft towers

2 towers 2 cranes

I liked the symmetry

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: 2 towers 2 cranes

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    I liked the symmetry
    I like the symmetry too Mark. The silhouette of the cranes is particularly effective.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mark

Have to confess that the first one doesn't really get me going. I'm not sure that there's enough of interest to hold it up as a strong image, albeit it's been very well made.

But the second one ...........! Now, that is a beauty. You've really nailed it. Exposure is excellent. Detail on the structure of the cranes is spot-on. Composition is top-drawer - just that hint of reflection right at the bottom give us the context - tells us where we are.

Definitely one for the wall.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st August 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Real Name
    Keith

The problem with #1 for me Mark is the way the top of the towers have been made oval by straightening the verticals. It could probably be corrected witht the Warp tool however.

Now the next image, #2, is an absolute peach of a shot, lovely How much did you have to pay the crane drivers to park with such symmetry?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I like the symmetry too Mark. The silhouette of the cranes is particularly effective.

Dave
    I agree. I will break with the concensus a little bit though...
    I don't know how much this is cropped if at all, but I would be interested to see just a little more space at the right as I think this would accentuate symmetry, and perhaps the empty space of the sky is just a little too much? Just a little.
    It's funny to see this photo, as I noticed a similar sight on the way home from work the other day and thought, hmmm, that might make a good photo!
    Good work.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree with your comments. The first image was taken in an exercise to see how close I could get to the structure with a wide lens and still get it all in. The second image was taken on the spur of the moment, when I noticed a ship with its cranes berthed oppsite a spot when I was taking some evening cityscapes. The more I see it the more I like it. I tried a horizontal crop initially but it just didn't work. As soon as I tightened it onto a tall vertical crop it made sense.

Real Name
    Brian

When I went back to my local '2 cranes' spot, I was heart broken - the barge company had MOVED ONE OF THE CRANES!

2 towers 2 cranes

Hi Brian

Yeah they do these things don't they? No consideration for others. I would write them a letter to the effect "Now look what you've done to my photo!"

I like the composition of this photo, with its sole crane. I love the colours orange/amber melting into grey at the top - or was that a vignette?Just a small niggle - pity about the dark reflection reaching all the way across the river at the left hand edge of the crop.

Cheers
    Nihia

Real Name
    Brian

Nihia,
    No vignettes, haven't learned that trick yet, though I have added a gradient a time or two in other photos.
    About the shadow on the left, I agree that doesn't quit fit does it. At first I was thinking of it as a framing... Lol but that aint workin out! I was hoping to compliment Mark's second photo.
    Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Brian

How about this version?

2 towers 2 cranes

Better, but ... what about taking some of the next shadow out, just a teensy? Angle the reflection I mean. so that it's more like the first peaked reflection?

Luck

Nihia