Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: nikon d3100....3 different settings..

Real Name
    Joey

nikon d3100....3 different settings..

C&C are very most welcome..........

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: nikon d3100....3 different settings..

Hi Joey,

I think this has gone unanswered for so long (over 24 hours) because we're not quite sure what to say - the post title mentions "three settings", but sadly there's nothing else to say what is you were varying and wanted comments on

To the pictures:
    In all three, I find the lack of detail on the shadow side a problem, there are also DoF issues - not everything is as sharp as it could be, if you had used a smaller diameter (= larger f number) aperture.

Taking each in turn, what do I see?:
    #1: Two fruits, back and (left) side lit by different colour temperature sources; daylight and (probably) tungsten, respectively
    EXIF shows the settings were; 1/40s, f/6.3, iso 3200, 62mm

#2: Two fruits, (left) back and (left) side lit by different colour temperature sources; daylight and (probably) tungsten, respectively
    EXIF shows the settings were; 1/40s, f/6.3, iso 3200, 55mm

#3: Two fruits, back lit by daylight - on this one especially, since losing background bokeh* wouldn't be a problem, the far tomato and water drops should be sharper, try f/16 or f/22.
    EXIF shows the settings were; 1/20s, f/6.3, iso 3200, 80mm

* ok, technically, that is a mis-use of the word 'bokeh', since I am meaning the intentionally out of focus parts of the image and us not wanting them to become too sharp (in #1 and #2)
    ('Bokeh' really means the quality of those parts of the image)

If you want to try this minimalist approach to lighting - and that is to be recommended to learn about lighting, I would suggest you try a reflector, which at this scale, need be nothing more than a sheet of letter (or A4 for the euros amongst us) paper or two, placed either side of the lens to bounce some daylight onto the camera side of the subject.

Hope that's helpful, but do have a read of this thread to get more from us next time. I do hope there will be a next time because you'd be surprised, for every one of you that has the drive to take and display, there are many others that benefit from the examples and feedback received.

Oh, and can somebody please tell me if it is "tomatos" or "tomatoes", in the plural

Cheers,

Real Name
    Joey

Re: nikon d3100....3 different settings..

thanks dave, appreciate.....