Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donald's Dancing Ears

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Donald's Dancing Ears

I wasn't going to bother with this, but I'm celebrating the fact that, at long last,I have got Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 working. I won't bore you with all the details, but it has been long road full of tension-laden communications between me and NIK support.

So, I've gone overboard with sliders. But, it's just a bit of fun. I don't usually use vignettes.

Some of you know that we are a host family for dogs whose owners are on holiday/vacation or can't look after them for a short while for other reasons. This fine fellow was with us last week for 7 days.

And his name? Donald. Don't laugh. It's true.

He's a Gordon Setter. More like a small horse than a dog. It's the third time we've had him. He's a big gentle giant (a bit like me really!)

Donald's Dancing Ears
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 200mm. ISO400. 1/180@f4. AI Servo
    Last edited by Donald; 17th August 2011 at 09:32 AM.

Real Name
    Al

Re: Donald's Dancing Ears

Nice choreography of ears and tongue! Congrats on getting SEP2 working, I'm looking forward more of your work.

Real Name
    Tommy

Very cute! I'd quite like to see it without the vignette. The top corners are distracting me a little.

Real Name
    Damien Kraut

HAHA! That is such an awesome photo!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks guys.

Tommy - You're right. I've gone a bit over the top with the vignette. One of those things, I think, that if you're going to use it you need to learn to be subtle.

Except for the vignette (which you guys have already discussed), Donald, this photo is perfect in every way - it's just wonderful!!! I love the tones, the sharpness, the composition, the dog (of course), the way the eye is directed with what looks to me to be the perfect light on him (post processing or natural?) - I LOVE it! Doggy photos taken to new heights! A classic!

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Donald,
    Did you try Silver FX on this picture? (now that you got it to work?)
    Beautiful dog, and great picture!

Real Name
    Bryan

So, I'm really new to the photography thing, and the critique. And I'm struggling with why the vignette is bad. Is this personal taste or technical? I'm just wondering what I'm missing ....

Perhaps I still have a simple eye. The dark edges balance with the dark subject. He is perfectly off center. Perhaps the path could curve more towards the lower right, but what'cha going to do? Seems like the vignette leads my eye to the subject and his face. The ears and tongue add movement and a fun/happy character. All around a solid photo.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Denning View Post
    So, I'm really new to the photography thing, and the critique. And I'm struggling with why the vignette is bad. Is this personal taste or technical? I'm just wondering what I'm missing ....

Perhaps I still have a simple eye. The dark edges balance with the dark subject. He is perfectly off center. Perhaps the path could curve more towards the lower right, but what'cha going to do? Seems like the vignette leads my eye to the subject and his face. The ears and tongue add movement and a fun/happy character. All around a solid photo.
    Maybe, (well, at least for me), it's just a little too dark which means - a little too obvious, which draws the eye. The best special effects in movies are the ones we don't even think about - we just believe what's happening and only think about the story because they don't call attention to themselves. Not that this vignette is THAT obvious, at all. I think that's just the general principle that their "tweaking".

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Donald
    Love the pic. You have my full sympathies re the software issues. They can drive you nuts - and often its a simple fix if just happen to a computer guru too.

Gordon Setters are real neat dogs. I do a lot of in vitro reproductive work with dogs. We recently got a Gordon Setter pregnant and she had 14 pups.

Cheers

Mark

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

So, I'm really new to the photography thing, and the critique. And I'm struggling with why the vignette is bad. Is this personal taste or technical? I'm just wondering what I'm missing .....
    Bryan

I think Katy pretty well nailed it. It is one of these subjective things. If you like it, then it's worked. If someone else doesn't, then it hasn't.

You very often see comments on here along the lines of, "Well, I'm not so sure about ....." and then after it, "Well, I don't agree with that. I really like ....."

And that's great. There are some things we can and do all broadly agree about, but there is so much about what we do that is about what appeals to the viewer. And that's as it should be. We can package it all up into a neat set of 'This is how it must be' rules.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    Donald,
    Did you try Silver FX on this picture? (now that you got it to work?)
    Beautiful dog, and great picture!
    Kris - Yes this was done with SEP2.

Real Name
    Mike

Donald I think you caught him at his best, and the tongue flapping, ears bouncing almost says "I am having the time of my life..Woo Hoo!"..

Q: Is he almost at the back end of the in-focus field, or is that just an illusion from the waving grass?

Mike

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Q: Is he almost at the back end of the in-focus field, or is that just an illusion from the waving grass
    Mike

You may well be right on that. I was in AI Servo focus mode on my Canon 40D, trying to follow his head as it bounced up and down. I would have thought that, if anything he was likely to be at the front end, given that if I missed his head I would have been focusing on something behind it. But, given the speed at which he was running towards me, I could well have picked up a focus point in front of him, this putting him towards the back of the in-focus field.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice. The facial expression is great!!

Real Name
    Scott Benz

First, I think it is a wonderful capture of man's best friend! He is a beautiful pup. My pooch is the most perfect creature on the planet and documenting our relationship with our dogs is fun and important.

While this is a tick off subject... If you are a dog lover, take an hour and watch Dogs Decoded on Nova it is a wonderful examination of the relationship between humans and dogs. A relationship this picture captures so well. There is a happiness in the tounge and ears that reflects how relaxed this pup is as it runs up the path. Donald knows he can run a bit but is comfortable his faithful owner will be there when he returns.

The companionship of a dog is a wonderful thing!

Real Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    ... it's just a little too dark which means - a little too obvious, which draws the eye. The best special effects in movies are the ones we don't even think about ....
    Thanks Katy, Donald. I think you're right. What is obvious to someone more experienced in looking for characteristics is just accepted by someone newer to the course. Thanks.

Thanks Katy, Donald. I think you're right. What is obvious to someone more experienced in looking for characteristics is just accepted by someone newer to the course. Thanks.
    That's what's super about CiC. I could read a ton of books but I don't really have a place to go for feedback on what I've done. It's funny how we can see what we love or don't in someone else's shot and have a hard time seeing it in our own. Well, I do, anyway.

Real Name
    Kay

Dear kilted moderator... methinks perchance you have misplaced the self portrait thread...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Dear kilted moderator... methinks perchance you have misplaced the self portrait thread...
    Nah - He's not as good a dancer as me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast