Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Raven & Willow

Raven & Willow

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am so glad I found it. I think there will be a lot for me to learn here. I am a very amatuer photographer with a special interest in photographing animals (people's pets). I wonder if all photographers have to take dozens of shots to get 1 or 2 decent ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Raven & Willow

Very Cute.

Welcome to the forum.
    As you learn more you may still only like 1 or 2 shots.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, just keep shooting.

One of the great things is with digital you can shoot lots of pictures, it does require some discipline to delete lots of shots....

When I take 30 pictures (candid type setting), about 15 are worth keeping and only 4 or 5 worth working on...

Real Name
    Ian

Don't worry about the loss rate.

As you progress you will find less get 'ditched' although even then, everyone has good days and bad.

Unless you experiment, you wont know and I still reflect on my best picture taken 18 years ago (still hanging framed on the wall) which had me turn and shoot a backlit shot as an 'experiment'. (One of 12x36 shots I took on that shoot)

I still regard it very highly after all these years. (shame I can't do them like that everyday) and brings favourable comment from all visitors to the house.

Or perhaps I too am far too critical these days!

I suppose that is why I chose this particular shot to post as my first. It was taken with a small inexpensive vivitar digital camera I got for Xmas a few years ago. A camera I still dislike to this day. I realize that the photo isn't high quality but my pride in the picture is that I got the shot at all. The picture gods were all on my side that day. I managed to capture the expression and get an in focus shot before my subjects dropped the toy. I was disappointed that the coffee table with my sons smokes were also captured, but elected to post the unedited version.

I recently purchased a Nikon D40x and I'm trying diligently to learn how to get the most out of it. Today while practicing with the black and white setting I snapped this shot.

Raven & Willow

The on screen version doesn't come close to comparing to the print. But what impresses me the most about the picture is the dogs soft, sultry expression. I don't believe it would have been as evident if I had taken the shot in color.