Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Full moon setting over Two Medicine

Real Name
    Dave

Full moon setting over Two Medicine

Took these pictures early Saturday morning (0430 hours) as the moon was setting over Two Medicine lake in Glacier NP. A few minutes later it tucked in behind Lone Walker Mt. Since no one else was up taking pictures these are the only record of this once in a lifetime event. Well at least for me...

Lost all the moon detail during the long exposures. Could not figure out a way to get both.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Full moon setting over Two Medicine

Beautiful! What lens did you use?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Dave, to get both you'll need two images. Shoot the lake at whatever gives you the best image and shoot the moon separately. The earth is lit up in the daytime by the sun. The moon is lit up the same way, by the sun. Why do I say the obvious? Because most people don't realize that if the sun lights up the moon, even at night, then it gets the same amount of light that you would have for an exposure in the middle of the daytime. The last time I shot the moon, I used ISO 100, 1/60 at f16. Atmospheric haze can reduce the exposure so I would bracket a set of exposures. Then it's just a question of merging the two images in PS.

Real Name
    Andrew

Merge them or not, both are breathtaking, and I think both have different stories.

Real Name
    Brian

The first shot really appeals to me, though I don't really know why! So dark yet I can make out shapes and pretty well see what the photo is about. Great photo

Real Name
    Dave

I tried to show what I saw that morning. It was an awesome display of nature. Thanks for the comments

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dave,

I thought I preferred the first, then I saw them in a Lytebox - and now I can't decide

Worth getting up for, so early - or staying up for, so late

I haven't tried it myself, but Frank's advice of a quick daylight snap to get a moon image to use on one or more longer exposures sounds good to me. I have tried doing 'moon and cloud' shots in one exposure though, and failed

Good pictures (as usual from yourself), well done

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

Great to see you posting again. Noticed you hadn't been around for a little while.

The second one doesn't do it for me. Feels a bit unnatural in terms of the lighting. And I know that;s unfair, because it's not. But it's just how it impacts on me.

But ...... that first one. That is magnificent. You have created the most wonderful atmosphere. And the reflection on the water. I think you've nailed the exposure perfectly. Just a superb image.