Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A stripey idea

Real Name
    Steve

A stripey idea

I've been thinking, which is dangerous to me, about a different way to do panorama, as if looking through windows.

This is very rough for an example:

A stripey idea

I was thinking, and it will never happen because I'm disabled; but how many 2:1 vertical strips and at what FOV and what focal length to cover 180 degrees from sunrise to sunset?

For instance 6 images with 35mm focal length? and how far apart for optimum appearance?

What about circles? but mainly I'm thinking rectangular because one then could decorate ones room with virtual windows.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: A stripey idea

Hi Steve, I've seen this effectively done with a panorama by framing each of the four images and hanging them on a wall.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    ... but how many 2:1 vertical strips
    From this, you pose a number of other questions. But on this point alone, I suspect there is a 'right' number and over that it begins not to work so well.

For example, I think your example is super. And that's 4 panels. Now, of course, it may be because of the subject matter or because I'm just seeing your one example and do not have a 6-panel image to compare it with, but I feel as if 6 could be too many. I also wonder if it works better with an even number of panels rather than an odd number (3, 5, etc).

What you've done above looks and feels right. I know that isn't a very scientific basis to then decide upon numbers of panels or the size of the space between them. But hopefully it's a start.
    Last edited by Donald; 12th August 2011 at 06:51 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

I think Donald has part of it, but really I think it will depend both on the subject matter as well as the presentation area... for example, a four panel set might work find in a room, but think about a long straight (or better yet - curving) hallway... then I could easily see the project working for any number of panels as long as the subject worked well... it would literally be like looking out of a row of windows.

For Steve's example here, I feel that the white strips are just a tad too wide... maybe cut them down by 25% or so.

- Bill

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I think Donald has part of it, but really I think it will depend both on the subject matter as well as the presentation area... for example, a four panel set might work find in a room, but think about a long straight (or better yet - curving) hallway... then I could easily see the project working for any number of panels as long as the subject worked well... it would literally be like looking out of a row of windows.

For Steve's example here, I feel that the white strips are just a tad too wide... maybe cut them down by 25% or so.

- Bill
    That is what I think Bill, you don't need to see everything but somehow there will be enough to reconstruct the scene in your head.

It will definitely be hard for anybody, but I think if you take sunrise on the left and a photo every few hours rotating by a fixed amount to sunset on the right; I just think yo got one hell of a good wallcovering bright in the middle and colourful at the edges.

Just a thought, a lot of effort though and there must be a just right formula.

Real Name
    Steve

I seen it Frank; but I was thinking sunrise to sunset.

Real Name
    Steve

I hear what you say Donald, but if I can't work out any numbers I start feeling rather ill. It is very nice of you to say the example is nice, it took me a long time in Gimp but still I think it could be a lot better.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    if you take sunrise on the left and a photo every few hours rotating by a fixed amount to sunset on the right; I just think yo got one hell of a good wallcovering bright in the middle and colourful at the edges.
    Wow Steve, I get what you are trying to do. Neat Idea! You should be able to do that and particularly if you get a good composition for the sunrise and sunset directions, it should be smashing! I suspect that finding a location where there is something interesting in each direction you shoot from a single vantage point may be a challenge, particularly as you won't be able to change the focal range for the entire pano. What a refreshing new concept!

Real Name
    Steve

That is what I thought Frank; and you noted all the problems which means I would need help in the form of a car. The reason I mentioned it was I thought I aint going to get that help and I would maybe have to do a compromise.

I do know some places though:

A stripey idea

but in colour obviously.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Steve, A high location like that should provide an excellent chance to get the sunrise and sunset unobstructed by buildings or trees. If you are willing to accept that a day that might start out clear, then go overcast and possibly back and if the images are shot 2-4 hours apart, there could be considerable changes in the lighting, color balance, etc. The reason I bring this up is that if you can mark the location that you want to shoot from and use a compass to get your shooting angle, you could combine images from more than one day. This should increase your chances to get a good transition from one image to the next.

Another wild thought. If this is something you could return to from time to time, you could add another striking twist. Do the first shot in the Spring, shooting every other month or so as you follow the sun and pan, and end up with the sunset image in winter. err….. OK…. shoot me now….. That was a really dumb idea. <sigh>

Real Name
    Steve

Actually Frank; I don't don't think you even need to be in the exact same spot, so long as you remember the angle and focal length/ aperture.

I like the look of it; as many as I've seen, but will it work with two suns, I don't see any reason why not.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It looks like you have a plan and a ready to find out if it will work. The least you will gain is experience and knowledge but I suspect you'll wind up with much more. Pease keep us posted on your progress. This sounds really exciting to me!

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Frank

Real Name
    Richard

A three image combination is called a 'triptych". Here is a link to a bunch of examples in both photography and other media...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tript...2&ved=0CEcQsAQ

The four image combination (whether a pano or just four adjacent images) is called a "quadtych"...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tript...w=1107&bih=469

Obviously there are other combinations such as the two image "diptych" (not duotych as I had thought)...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tript...w=1107&bih=469

Real Name
    Steve

Never knew that Richard

I was thinking of doing it in camera as a panorama, but taken at different times. I mean vertical aspect probably 70mm and six images over 180 degrees or so.

Maybe two in the middle of the day and four at the ends of the day. It not going to get done though because I'm being hassled by petty officials who without warning have stopped my money, and I can't think at the moment.

I've got heart disease and despite 70% circumflex stenosis, RCA disease, NIDD, Angina and a brain injury which prevents me from driving and the prospect soon of bypass surgery; they decided without a medical (not that they give one), that I'm not entitled to any money.

Without warning, so I'm a bit bothered at the moment.

I'll think about it again in due course.

Real Name
    Richard

Steve...

I wish you best of luck in your battles with the bureaucracy and I also hope your health improves or at least does not deteriorate further.

GOOD LUCK, MATE!

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Richard.

Real Name
    Steve

Is this alright:

A stripey idea