Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Street Elephant

Real Name
    Mike

Street Elephant

Found this handsome fellow on the sidewalk in Bellingham, WA., and as best I could tell he was drawn by local schoolkids using pastel chalk. It was difficult to get the right angle, and I ended up standing on a cement planter that was nearby.

He was just too handsome to just leave laying there on the sidewalk ....

Street Elephant

Shot in .jpeg - 1/1000s f/4.0 at 18.0mm iso320. C&C appreciated.

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 11th August 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Street Elephant

Hi Mike, I like it but would love to see a youngster with a piece of chalk in his/her hand putting the finishing touches on the drawing. That would add scale and a human interest to the shot. Hmmmm. Make note to self: Self, keep a chocolate bar bribe handy when on a photoshoot! LOL!

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Mike, I like it but would love to see a youngster with a piece of chalk in his/her hand putting the finishing touches on the drawing. That would add scale and a human interest to the shot. Hmmmm. Make note to self: Self, keep a chocolate bar bribe handy when on a photoshoot! LOL!
    Thank you for the input Frank, and I agree that it would make a huge difference to have had the shot with one of the kids working on it. When I took the shot I actually looked for something else to accompany it and add some "flavor", but all that was around it was dirty, uncomplimentary sidewalk. There were some kids in the area, and I never even thought about asking one to act as the "artist". Made a note to consider this next time such an opportunity presents itself.

Here's another from the same group. I couldn't get above this one, so this was the best I could do.

Street Elephant

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 11th August 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Real Name
    Keith

Great opportunistic candid shots Mike, luv 'em

You have done well to get everything reasonably square, Mike.

One of my duties at the local regatta next Sunday will be photographing the children's pavement drawing competition and I know how difficult it is to get a good angle.

Yes, having some chalk dusted children sitting around makes a nice shot, but you have to be so careful not to step on little fingers or toes when looking for that perfect angle.

And the most difficult part of all is picking a winner from so much excellent young talent. I'm glad I'm not a judge.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 12th August 2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: extra line

Real Name
    John Wright

There's some really talented youngsters about.

Interesting shots,Mike.