Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My friend and her Peio de Rox

Real Name
    Lise-Marie

My friend and her Peio de Rox

These are some pictures I captured today of my friend and her horse Peio de Rox. First time meeting him and taking pictures of them so I was very excited(:

Real Name
    Richard

Re: My friend and her Peio de Rox

Very nice images of rider and horse. They are wonderfully sharp and you have caught them at the right moments. Your exposure is right on...

One slight negative comment is that the backgrounds are a bit busy and tend to somewhat compete with horse and rider for attention. This is especially true of the white birch trees. Your EXIF data indicated that you were shooting at f/5.6 at 120mm, 135mm and 113mm. This was not enough to provide selective focus and blur the background. I don't know what lens you were using but, many telephoto zoom lenses have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 when zoomed out, so opening the lens to achieve a more narrow depth of field may not have been an option. Perhaps if there was more distance between the rider and the background you might have been able to get the background more out of focus. If that were not possible, perhaps choosing a less busy background might have been an option.

Please don't think that I do not like these shots. They are really nice and show off the beautiful horse and equally lovely rider very well.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th August 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Real Name
    Lise-Marie

Re: My friend and her Peio de Rox

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Very nice images of rider and horse.

One slight negative comment is that the backgrounds are a bit busy and tend to somewhat compete with horse and rider for attention.

Please don't think that I do not like these shots. They are really nice and show off the beautiful horse and equally lovely rider very well.
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comments. I especially like your "negative" comment, I always need help to get better. I understand what you're saying about the background and I really agree with you, I think a less busy background would have made my friend and her horse pop out more. But, as you pointed out, I didn't have a choice of background and was stuck with all those birch trees. And thank you again for the comments! (: Feedback is very important!