Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ducks in the Pond.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Ducks in the Pond.

I had a chance to visit a local park this morning (5 miles away from town) and hoping to get some images taking advantage of the morning sun. Unfortunately, I slept too late yesterday that I woke up at 8AM and the sun was already shining bright and mighty. I sat on the park chair hoping that I can take home some images to post today that's not macro.

Here are some ducks in the pond that I saw at the park. Thank you very much for viewing.

Ducks in the Pond.

-----
    Nikon D70, 70mm, ISO 200, f/8 at 1/50 second.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Ducks in the Pond.

Hi Willie, I'm never quite sure if this is a padding of ducks or a gaggle of geese. Either way, it is a nice combination of waterfowl. You don't often see them swimming in a group like this.

If the background permits or can be controlled by DoF, a lower angle, but not so low as to block the birds in the back of the group, might work well. I like the reflection of the heads in the foreground and the light foreground vs darker background with the group of, er, whatever they are, in between. Nice coloring, shadows, and detail in the feathers. In my view, another winner my friend!

Real Name
    Bill S

Don't believe him! Willie's going to post later how he created this macro scene in a dixie cup with seven minutely carved plastic geese (I don't think they're ducks.. check out the head crest on the male in the back... they might be a species of swan too... but ducks don't have long necks like that)... He's so hooked on macro, but he's trying to convince us that he's not!

Sorry I ruined another of your secrets, Willie!

Great shot though - but the male goose in the back could use a little lightening to keep him in the focus of the shot - especially since he's the different one and basically in charge of this little floatilla.

- Bill

Real Name

Thank you very much as always, Frank. These ducks are far from my position that's why I decided to use an opening of f/8. I wish my lens could go farther than 70mm but this is the only reliable lens I got. My other 80-200mm plastic lens is not that good when it comes to this kind of shot. I wish I could also go lower in my position (I am already on my belly when I took this shot) but if I do I would surely damage my camera since the land area has a steep slope and you can't get any good footing without falling to the water. I'll try to get better next time.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Don't believe him! Willie's going to post later how he created this macro scene in a dixie cup with seven minutely carved plastic geese (I don't think they're ducks.. check out the head crest on the male in the back... they might be a species of swan too... but ducks don't have long necks like that)... He's so hooked on macro, but he's trying to convince us that he's not!

Sorry I ruined another of your secrets, Willie!

Great shot though - but the male goose in the back could use a little lightening to keep him in the focus of the shot - especially since he's the different one and basically in charge of this little floatilla.

- Bill
    You're really funny, Bill. As I told the forum before, I am too dumb to ID what I'm shooting. I'd rather take a lot of shots and wait for some good ones rather than waste my time looking for someone that I can ask what kind of feathered birds they are. I got stumped on the macro thing for a moment so I thought I'd take a break and go to the local park for a change. If you can help me ID these wonderful creatures I would definitely appreciate that my friend. Thank you very much for viewing.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    You're really funny, Bill. As I told the forum before, I am too dumb to ID what I'm shooting. I'd rather take a lot of shots and wait for some good ones rather than waste my time looking for someone that I can ask what kind of feathered birds they are. I got stumped on the macro thing for a moment so I thought I'd take a break and go to the local park for a change. If you can help me ID these wonderful creatures I would definitely appreciate that my friend. Thank you very much for viewing.
    No worries on the ID thing... I was just saying. My best guess is that they are some sort of domestic geese. Domestic geese are a hybrid to begin with so they are very difficult to ID.

- Bill