Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Life goes on

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

Life goes on

SNAP CAPTURED IN GALLE IN SRI LANKA AFTER THE WAR.
    Life goes on

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Life goes on

What war?
    Or should it be which war?
    Or whose war?

The word war can be quite confusing nowadays.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 4th August 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    What war?
    Or should it be which war?
    Or whose war?

The word war can be quite confusing nowadays.
    Bobo

I do think that anyone with a knowledge of Sri Lankan affairs would understand this. But you are right, for those who might not then it is apppropriate to provide an explanation that the reference is to the very, very long struggle between government forces and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (Tamil Tigers) that ended in extreme violence. The Tigers had been fighting for the establishment of an independent state in the north and east of Sri Lanka. Many attempts at peace had been brokered, with Norway playing a central role in the early 2000s. However, none of that led to lasting peace and eventually the government took decisive action.

There remains ongoing debate within the international community about the episode, with many accusing the government of gross breaches of human rights and of the wholesale slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians. A charge the government vehemently denies.

Two tragic legacies of that awful episode are that, a) the Tigers introduced the world to suicide bombs and, b) they ‘perfected’ the recruitment of child soldiers. It was in relation to the latter, as well as the subject of sex offenders visiting Sri Lanka to sexually abuse children, that I had the great honour to meet Prof Harendra Da Silva, the founder and leader of the National Child Protection Authority, appointed by the President. Harendra had written extensively about the recruitment of child soldiers in the context of child abuse. His work on the subject remains a world authority. It was not until I was with him in his car with his government appointed driver and we were driving very fast through the streets of Colombo that he told me he was an assassination target for the Tigers and that the car could be attacked at any time. Made me sweat a bit more!

The great tragedy for that beautiful place was the damage done to the people, both in terms of family life but also in economic terms. The loss of life was huge. The loss of income from tourism and inward investment was equally huge.

As may be detected from what I write, Sri Lanka is a place I love. There cannot be many more beautiful places on earth nor a more open and friendly people.

Ajith – where are you from? Do you live in Galle?

I have spent some time in Galle, but in all of Sri Lanka the place I love most dearly is Kandy. With a dear friend, Mohan Perera, I have spent wonderful times in the bar of the now rather dilapidated Kandy Garden Club, where the beer is good and the company wonderful. (ps - for anyone who knows Kandy, it is at the far end of the tank (lake) from the centre of town, hidden amongst the trees)
    Last edited by Donald; 4th August 2011 at 09:04 AM.

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

thank you Dave for the brief that you make understand of my country.even the person captured mainly involved with the tourism industry i have given the message with the board next him,what is our expectation. we are lovely people with lot of rich hospitality manners,we welcome every part of the world to get experience of our culture and genuine smile. Dave next week i am going to kandy to capture some photos from kandy cultural show. i try to find your friend Mohan Pereraand pass the your regards to him.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by puspa kumara View Post
    Dave next week i am going to kandy to capture some photos from kandy cultural show. i try to find your friend Mohan Pereraand pass the your regards to him.
    Hi Ajith,

You'd better pass on the correct name then

The above was Donald - not me this time

I'm sure Sri Lanka is lovely, but personally, I have never been that far East (or South) from the UK

Cheers,

Very moving!

Real Name
    ajith jayasinghe

Katy,Thank you for your valuable comment.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Donald, for the brief account of the Sri Lanka "struggles" and your personal experiences there. I still remember it as Ceylon.

And puspa I wish your country well and hope that everyone learns to live with everyone else.