Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Posting images from PBase - anyone else having issues?

Real Name
    Mike

Posting images from PBase - anyone else having issues?

Looked in on one of the mini-competitions that I had an entry in, and was surprised to see that the image was not even present..

It was hosted in a trial account that I just signed up for on PBase. I checked the post (via edit) and the tags were correct, so, I went and re-copied the image URL from PBase and re-pasted it into the [img] and [/img] brackets. No joy. Went and repeated the process again and still the image would not display. On one occasion it did show for a second (a flash, only) and then it was gone again.

Edit note: Found out that PBase does not allow direct linking to images for trial accounts.

Never mind..Posting images from PBase - anyone else having issues?

Mike
    Last edited by Dizzy; 1st August 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Posting images from PBase - anyone else having issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Edit note: Found out that PBase does not allow direct linking to images for trial accounts.
    Yes, Mike. I think a lot of them are like that.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Easiest to just pay them a few $$$ and then the "world is your oyster"! (that's what I did anyway).

If you like the overall layout of P base, Mike, it is a small amount to pay for quite a lot of storage space; and a 'no messing about' system that even I can nearly understand.

Real Name
    Mike

Easiest to just pay them a few $$$ and then the "world is your oyster"! (that's what I did anyway).
    If you like the overall layout of P base, Mike, it is a small amount to pay for quite a lot of storage space; and a 'no messing about' system that even I can nearly understand.
    That's enough of an endorsement to satisfy any of my concerns. Just paid them the $23 clams for a year of service, and am now awaiting arrival of my worldly oysters..(hope they come with some hot sauce!)

Real Name

Well done Mike - I think you'll be happy with them. As with any software, there are a few "gotchas" - so just start a thread here if you need help - I've got most things sussed with regards to Pbase basic operation.

Probably the biggest is - if you want to direct link to an image, click edit image, and copy the URL from the top/right area of the screen - DON'T use the URL in the address bar, or only you'll be able to see it!

Whenever you copy an image URL from the edit image page it'll always end in medium.jpg - that's quite low res for here, so be aware that you can change it to large.jpg or original.jpg. Personally, I always upload images with the long dimension being somewhere in the order of 1000 pixels or slightly more, and use Photoshop compression 10 out of 12 (or whatever it takes to get it under 500kb) - that way you'll have room for over 2000 photos if you're on the 1GB plan.

Real Name
    Mike

Still having issues, it seems. Paid for a years service days ago, and just checked an image I posted in one of the competitions and it will not show up. Same as before, if I "Edit" the post and then re-install the URL for the image location it will "flash" up, and then it's gone again, just as when I was a trial member. I've checked all the settings at PBase, and the gallery is set to Public, and all is in order.

Here is the Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/dizzygazer/fuji

and the thread where the image was showing just fine (until today):

Monochrome Mini Competition #258

Mike

[edit: the pic is now showing again. PBase allows a 30 day period that they will provide a refund, and
    so far I'm not impressed. Could be my lack of skills, but other sites seem to be much more user friendly at this point. Could be I just need more patience, and time to learn..]
    Last edited by Dizzy; 3rd August 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

What I learned from this today was that in order for the image to display you need to copy the URL of the image page, such as:

http://www.pbase.com/dizzygazer/image/136932764

and then add a .jpg to the end of the URL. Add the [img] and [/img] brackets and that seems to solve the issue. My mistake was that I was right clicking on the image itself, and then using that url for posting on the forum here. Apparently that is an internal designation so it will not continue to work.

The URL of the actual page is required when posting the image to other sites, with the .jpg tag added on.

I'm may be slow, but "they" say I can still learn..

Mike

Real Name

What I learned from this today was that in order for the image to display you need to copy the URL of the image page, such as:

http://www.pbase.com/dizzygazer/image/136932764
    Or you could read my post above

Well done Mike - I think you'll be happy with them. As with any software, there are a few "gotchas" - so just start a thread here if you need help - I've got most things sussed with regards to Pbase basic operation.

Probably the biggest is - if you want to direct link to an image, click edit image, and copy the URL from the top/right area of the screen - DON'T use the URL in the address bar, or only you'll be able to see it!

Whenever you copy an image URL from the edit image page it'll always end in medium.jpg - that's quite low res for here, so be aware that you can change it to large.jpg or original.jpg. Personally, I always upload images with the long dimension being somewhere in the order of 1000 pixels or slightly more, and use Photoshop compression 10 out of 12 (or whatever it takes to get it under 500kb) - that way you'll have room for over 2000 photos if you're on the 1GB plan.

I had a few early snags but they soon resolved themselves. Initially I wasn't copying the full url.

Also when pasting into CinC are you selecting the correct link icon from above the typing slot? Looks like a framed photo. That should automatically add any necessary image tags.

That is all I do and it (usually) works OK.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Or you could read my post above

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Thanks Colin. Posting images from PBase - anyone else having issues?

Real Name

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Thanks Colin. Posting images from PBase - anyone else having issues?
    I know - I was up working until after midnight, so I only JUST have got out of bed!