Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Peek-a-boo Praying Mantis

Real Name
    Bill S

Peek-a-boo Praying Mantis

This is a fun one... my wife found this praying mantis in the gardens, and I was trying to figure out how to get a shot of him while he was hiding in the middle of all of the plants. It was very attentive to us, and would follow me through the plants, and so I took advantage of it and found a tiny little opening to shoot through. He turned his head to see what I was doing, and I fired the shutter...

Peek-a-boo Praying Mantis

Thanks for looking.

- Bill

Re: Peek-a-boo Praying Mantis

Wow, Bill! Cute!

Hahaha Bill, I don't like mantis especially how they move and jump! But your mantis seems to be friendly, it smiles!

Real Name
    Keith

Lovely framing Bill. Its creepy how these critters keep their beedy eyes on you when you are near them

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Great shot

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Wow, Bill! Cute!
    Katy - Thanks. Soon you'll have that macro and can start looking for shots like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterlush View Post
    Hahaha Bill, I don't like mantis especially how they move and jump! But your mantis seems to be friendly, it smiles!
    Al - Glad you like it. I too thought it was funny how he looked like he was smiling. It added to the peek-a-boo feel to the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    Lovely framing Bill. Its creepy how these critters keep their beedy eyes on you when you are near them
    Keith - It is a tiny bit unnerving, isn't it? He was well aware of where I was at all times. But all in all, I've found that if you're slow and deliberate with your movements, you're fine. I actually managed to relocate this guy a couple times by simply putting a stick in front of him and rolling it under his legs - he very cooperatively just walked right up on the stick (much like chameleons will do). I think he was still too young to fly, so that might have added to his complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by TobyMac View Post
    Great shot
    Toby - Thanks for looking, glad you liked it.

- Bill