Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gods looking down

Gods looking down

Hi all,

These shots are from Corinth's marina. This is a statue of Poseidon I think. I tried to capture the sadness and grandeur I saw back then. That's why I chose this view point and angle.

Gods looking down

Gods looking down

Your C&C are always welcome!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Gods looking down

Good shots, Giannis. I have to say you did a very good job on the exposure considering that you are shooting directly at the sky and you have a subject only filling half of the frame. I also like your POV though I have to say that on a personal level it does not show that much sadness for me. I guess one of the reason was the lighting. The background is too bright relative to the subject. To emote sadness, you really need a good contrast shot with lots of shadows and subtle oblique lighting in it. The low perspective actually gives the idea of "authority" or power of the subject to the viewer. I think this is where your idea of grandeur works perfectly. If you position the eyes higher, the subject has more authority than the one looking. If the eyes of the subject is lower, the illusion or effect is that the viewer has "more power" than the subject. If you position the eyes at the same level then the subject and the viewer is almost at the same status. On the technical side of the image, I think you did a very, very good job. On the subjective side, I think you need to wait for that right lighting to evoke more feeling of sadness for this type of subject. It does have some sadness in his look, though. Must be because of the drooping eyebrows.

Real Name
    Keith

I like the compositions Giannis and I think you have captured the mood, especially with #1, but I feel they could do with a little more work to lighten the shadows a touch and some attention to the burned-out whites in the clouds.

Thanks for the comment Jiro!

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I guess one of the reason was the lighting. The background is too bright relative to the subject. To emote sadness, you really need a good contrast shot with lots of shadows and subtle oblique lighting in it.
    Yes, maybe you're right. Though I have to think carefully what evoked that feeling to me at that time. I wish I could spend more time there to produce a more carefully thought out image.

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    The low perspective actually gives the idea of "authority" or power of the subject to the viewer. I think this is where your idea of grandeur works perfectly.
    I'm glad you see it! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    I like the compositions Giannis and I think you have captured the mood, especially with #1, but I feel they could do with a little more work to lighten the shadows a touch and some attention to the burned-out whites in the clouds.
    Thanks Keith, I'll note down your suggestions.