Hop-Farm_1 by oldgeezerdigital.com, on Flickr

The Eagles

A couple from a Rock Festival
    Eagles_1 by oldgeezerdigital.com, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: A couple from a Rock Festival

Hi Pete,

My main comment with this series would be the composition/framing.

#1 I would take 10% off across the top of frame and dim down, or clone out the bit of grass that looks like a straw in her glass.

#2 I would crop tighter left and right to remove the two 'half people' and straighten it.

#3 I would take 15% off the left hand side to remove 'the arm' and 5% off the right hand side too.

But that's just me, other's views, and more importantly, your own, may differ, I'm not 'right' and these aren't wrong!

Hope it helps,

Real Name
    Ian

Concerts, gigs and festivals are notoriously difficult to get right, difficult lighting, people in the wrong place and everyone clammering to get closer. Hell of a challenge.

I will be controversial here:

1: good subject, how about putting her nose and chin a shade 1/2"? in from the right and lower edges of the frame just to highlight her hair which to me is really the subject of the picture, not the glass with its straw, which to me sort of detracts. My favourite of your three shots here as she makes a good close up offbeat portrait.

2: Ferry, it worries me when the guy looks old, cause that must mean I am ageing too! This pic would not really be in my shortlist at all. It is difficult to crop the bottom off without losing half the performers. Ferry rather spoils anything you can do with this one and it is not a shot that is clearly " the king of cool". So I think I might crop right in on the guitarist to the right of BF, at least he is in a good pose, although you would probably need to leave the female sax player abive him. The bouncer with the green earplug and the "flowerpot man" stage crew do muddy the whole scene for me and I would try and lose them, unless you want to capture irony of the bouncer with earplugs at a concert!
    3: I would leave the blue lights in the right hand top corner of the frame as they create a nice triangle, cut out the lower part of the crowd who are out of focus, but make a frame along the bottom of those with their cameras/phones. Then you have a nice line up of the performers with some good lead in lines for the viewer.

Just my "tuppence worth"

Experience over the years has taught me to make friends with the promoters, then blag a press pass to get some prime spots, although you have to make sure you dont hog the spot or get in the way. Also at indoor venues prevents some iffy bouncer taking a dislike to your camera at the door. "if youre on the guest list, you get in," usually!
    Last edited by shreds; 28th July 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Real Name
    Pete Bird

I understand your comments guys, please feel free to comment on anything I post.

These are batch processed and all cropped to 7x5, if I get a good one I PP it but all of these were for showing the event so not too much time spent.

The only comment I would make, is the crop on the red head. I like the beer in the bottom right.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.