Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Scanner Recommendations

Real Name
    Homer

Scanner Recommendations

In order to move ahead with black and white printing, I'm going to need to develop a custom ICC, which involves using a scanner. I do not have a dedicated scanner now though I do have an old HP three-in-one printer that will scan (to an unknown quality) and a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II for 35mm slides and negatives.

The Epson Perfection V30 would be a good scanner at about $60 or I could do flat bed scanning and film scanning with the Epson 4490 for about $130. $200 would get me into a V600 with 6400 x 9600 dpi resolution.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices to compare them with the Scan Dual II or general comments on scanners?

Re: Scanner Recommendations

I'm not quite sure what you wish to scan, Homer, do you intend to scan negatives/scans?

I use the Epson Perfection 3590 Photo Scanner which will take negs/slides as well as being a conventional scanner. But it is a few years old so this model may be discontinued now.

If you are just scanning negs then one of the purpose built options may be best.

Real Name
    Homer

I'm going to be scanning test prints for setting the ICC of papers used with black and white ink sets. I also will probably scan some film slides and transparencies since the unit I've ordered will do that fairly well. I ordered an Epson V500 which is so inexpensive I'm a little embarrassed that I just didn't order it six months ago. It has the 'Digital Ice' feature which will really help with scratched and or dusty film.

Real Name
    John

I have the hp Scanjet 4370 Photo scanner and it does negatives as well. It is about ten years old and is not compatible with Windows 7. Luckily I have a computer that still uses XP so it is still functional. Besides compatibility with your operating system, you should also look at the scanner specifications, consider your intended use of the scanned photo, storage space for large scans, and interfaces between the computer and scanner.