Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking south from Oingt-en-Beaujolais

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Looking south from Oingt-en-Beaujolais

And so we come to the end of this series of 18 images that I made during my recent holiday in the Beaujolais area of France.

There are some I've got in the '2nd division folder' that I might post up as group if I've nothing better over the next few weeks or so.

I've put these 18 into a CiC album that you can look over if the notion takes you.

As always, constructive C & C is welcomed.

On top of a hill, with very steep sides, sits the village of Oingt.

Looking south from Oingt-en-Beaujolais
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 75mm. ISO100. 1/250@f8
    Last edited by Donald; 27th July 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Looking south from Oingt-en-Beaujolais

I like it! It looks like I am being invited to open the gate and go to that area downhill to explore it. Among all the images you posted, for me this is the strongest. I also like how you decided to increase the black level on this one, Donald. Perfezione!!!

Real Name
    Richard

I like the image very much but, the name sounds like you should say "excuse me" after saying it!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Willie
    Richard

Thank you for your comments.

Like you, Willie, I began to see this as possibly the best of the set. And it was an opportunistic capture in the sense that I had never been at the location before and just came upon it as I was wandering through the village. But it was very obvious, very quickly, that there was an image to be made there.

Indeed, Richard. I never did quite master the pronounciation.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

It's been a beautiful set, Donald, and this image is a perfect ending. Thank you for taking me along on your travels.

Real Name
    Wendy

Lovely view Donald and what a finish to a beautiful series. I like what Jiro said - this one just makes me want to breath in the fresh air and go for a very long walk from one side of the valley to the other.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mary

Thank you very much for your comments.

Because these images seemed to make up a series and because I had read reviews in B & W Photography magazines of packages to make up your own photo-book, I thought I'd give it a try, just for fun. It was quite inexpensive for a 21cm x 21 cm book and I knew it was for my own use only so it didn't need to be to professional printing standards.

The book arrived today. And I am actually amazed at the quality. It is very good. Much better than I expected. The one disappointing aspect is that they do make it available online and you can invite friends to look at it, but the quality is very poor. But if you want a look to get an idea of what I did (and I think this is how it works) - you click here and then enter the access code ZC5PR2.

You, Mary, will recognise some of the words that accompany 'Chapelle de la Madonne' (told you they would always accompany that image).

But please remember, the quality only gives you a flavour of what the finished product looks like.

May I just simply say, "What a view! (that's really 'it' in a nutshell.)

I absolutely loved seeing all of these photos, Donald - vacation pics (haha) extraordinaire! They feed the soul... I'm still just so happy for you - that you got to go to this marvellous place, had a chance to rest, were able to renew yourself, had new adventures and experiences - expanded your mind and heart and had a plain old good time. I'm just so happy for you!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    ...and go for a very long walk from one side of the valley to the other.
    Thank you, Wendy.

We didn't walk (took the car - very lazy), but an hour or so later, we were over the other side of that valley looking back at this very spot from where I made this image. Just part of the wonderful experience that was being in Beaujolais (I should be getting a commission from their tourist promotion service).

Real Name
    Tommy

Really like it Donald! Those distant hills look remarkably similar to the hills where I am from in North Wales. next time I am home I'll try to get a shot froma similar vantage point and post them side by side for comparison!

Whoever lives in that house has a wonderful view from the rear! Oh pardon!

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Mary

Thank you very much for your comments.

Because these images seemed to make up a series and because I had read reviews in B & W Photography magazines of packages to make up your own photo-book, I thought I'd give it a try, just for fun. It was quite inexpensive for a 21cm x 21 cm book and I knew it was for my own use only so it didn't need to be to professional printing standards.

The book arrived today. And I am actually amazed at the quality. It is very good. Much better than I expected. The one disappointing aspect is that they do make it available online and you can invite friends to look at it, but the quality is very poor. But if you want a look to get an idea of what I did (and I think this is how it works) - you click here and then enter the access code ZC5PR2.

You, Mary, will recognise some of the words that accompany 'Chapelle de la Madonne' (told you they would always accompany that image).

But please remember, the quality only gives you a flavour of what the finished product looks like.
    The book is beautiful and wonderful way to preserve the memories of your trip. It's a great idea... now I just need a trip to go on.

I did recognize some of the word that accompanied 'Chapelle de la Modonne'. I'm touched that my words captured the feeling of your image and am honored that you remember them. All of the images are beautiful in composition, processing, but mostly in the feelings that they show. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Real Name
    Steve

It looks very nice; I think I need something to stand on though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Whoever lives in that house has a wonderful view from the rear! Oh pardon!
    It's okay, Tommy. I know what you mean!

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Those distant hills look remarkably similar to the hills where I am from in North Wales
    An interesting thing was that although I knew Beaujolais wasn't flat, it was more hilly than I expected.

Mary - Glad you enjoyed the book.

Steve - not sure if you need something to stand on to see over the edge.

Donald

I agree with Jiro increasing the black levels has given the scene far more depth and contrast. I will pretend I have not seen the the invasion of the dreaded branchy monster at top left of the frame Filling the frame with land is unusual and really works well here

The book arrived today. And I am actually amazed at the quality. It is very good. Much better than I expected.
    I did a Mac/iPhoto version some time back as an anniversary present for WireVixen. I scanned photos that meant a lot to us - wedding, baby scans, kids growing up, holidays etc. I was very pleased with the quality and the hard cloth binding - WireVixen was in tears....so a good tip for all you guys out there who are contemplating an ironing board or a vacuum cleaner for your next anniversary

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Donald

I agree with Jiro increasing the black levels has given the scene far more depth and contrast.
    I was wondering why you weren't commenting!

I will pretend I have not seen the the invasion of the dreaded branchy monster at top left of the frame
    I take it you don't approve! I felt it was too 'open' without it. I wanted to keep the sense of enclosure and of looking out onto the great open spaces below

I did a Mac/iPhoto version some time back as an anniversary present for WireVixen. ... WireVixen was in tears....
    Mmm. I must be using the wrong type of images!

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Terrific work Donald - I have just looked at the complete collection which I greatly enjoyed.

Real Name
    Keith

I was so taken by the quality of tone and depth in this image I couldn't wait to click on the link to the album - I was not disappointed A lovely, lovely series of images and I intend to go back and peruse them at length and leisure. Thank you for sharing your journey Donald

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chris
    Keith

Thank you for having a look at the album. I've also put them into a set on my own website. I think Smugmug shows them up well. I am quite pleased with them.

Real Name
    John Wright

Another lovely photo in the series and I like the way you kept the end of the house in the frame too, many (including myself, I have to say) would have stepped forward to get it out of the frame - another valuable lesson in framing.

I've really enjoyed this series,Donald and what a good idea not to post them in one or two tranches, it's been like a journey .I went to CiC album to view them all again as one and my favourites are 1(winding road through fields) 3 (village) and 5(church). I don't know why we feel we have to choose favourites from selections- must be human nature - because I enjoyed them all... not forgetting of course ,the weathered-faced elderly gent watching the cyclists.

Wonderful image! The background is so clear.

The photo book was also amazing! It was a pleasure to watch even at low-res. These images and the stories behind them make much more sense together. They let us experience a little of what you esperienced on your trip. Thanks Donald!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast