Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hazards around the house

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hazards around the house

We have these traffic hazards at our front gate from time to time which can make getting out and about a problem. And yes, they all do have names. And will come if called, but only if one is holding an apple out as an enticement. They are pretty lazy but greed is a great motivator apparently

Hazards around the house

Hazards around the house

Hazards around the house

Hazards around the house

Real Name
    Pete

Re: Hazards around the house

"A good picture is worth a thousand words. But a thousand words is by far the easier of the two."

LOL! I'll agree with that! Fine looking stock there Ken. Drive slowly and carefully

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Fine looking stock there Ken. Drive slowly and carefully
    Thank you Hans

They certainly look well fed. I wouldn't fancy trying to tuck one under my arm and carry it to one side.

But when faced with cattle blocking the path, I do find that quietly talking to them achieves better results than shouting and waving of arms.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    They certainly look well fed. I wouldn't fancy trying to tuck one under my arm and carry it to one side.

But when faced with cattle blocking the path, I do find that quietly talking to them achieves better results than shouting and waving of arms.
    Geoff, Geoff, Geoff.... We would never raise our voices to our wee small beasties; or wave our arms at them! It might upset them. They will shift out of the way. And in their own good time. Eventually! We usually hop out of the car and have a bit of a chat with them and give a couple a bit of a neck rub until they amble off. It is a wonderful anti stress activity. For us that is. Can't speak for the cattle.

In one field that I often walk through there is a large but placid Aberdeen Angus bull.

Recently he came to the gate for a bit of a rub while I was outside the gate. I always say good morning to him whenever I'm passing. While giving his face a little rub I suddenly realised he was raising his head and my hand was between the bars of the gate.

I just squeesed my hand back under the gate bar before too much pressure was caused. I must think more carefully in future.

He is rather heavy and pushes the cows around so I think it would be wise not to get too friendly with him as he doesn't realise his own strength.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    In one field that I often walk through there is a large but placid Aberdeen Angus bull.

Recently he came to the gate for a bit of a rub while I was outside the gate. I always say good morning to him whenever I'm passing. While giving his face a little rub I suddenly realised he was raising his head and my hand was between the bars of the gate.

I just squeesed my hand back under the gate bar before too much pressure was caused. I must think more carefully in future.

He is rather heavy and pushes the cows around so I think it would be wise not to get too friendly with him as he doesn't realise his own strength.
    Oh, he knows his own strength alright. And you were fortunate to remove your your hand from the bars in time to avoid a serious injury. We have found with our blokes they don't like their faces touched and will throw their heads up if you do. They seem to prefer neck rubs. And never trust a bull, no matter how placcid. The books are full of cases of farmers who have been done in by their 'pet' bulls.
    Ken

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Those are some fun 'hazzards'. I love sheep and he appears to be looking at you through the corner of his eye. Sort of, like he's saying, 'Hey... you got a problem?' And the cows... well, I'm not even going to go 'there'.

The only hazards I have are barely clothed people riding in front of my house on their 'beach cruiser' bicycles carrying their surfboards and iced coffees on their way to the beach. Well.... and all the tourists that don't have a clue where they are going!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Those are some fun 'hazzards'. I love sheep and he appears to be looking at you through the corner of his eye. Sort of, like he's saying, 'Hey... you got a problem?' And the cows... well, I'm not even going to go 'there'.

The only hazards I have are barely clothed people riding in front of my house on their 'beach cruiser' bicycles carrying their surfboards and iced coffees on their way to the beach. Well.... and all the tourists that don't have a clue where they are going!
    From previous personal experience we know exactly where you are coming from. Beach tourists are a breed apart, totslly self absorbed with their own needs and a royal pain in the butt.

Real Name
    Seri

Ken,

I love the sheep in particular. It has a wonderful stance. Positively regal

I've always stopped to greet cows, goats and sheep around our way, and they all seem to like being scratched hard on their foreheads. I was wondering if you know why that is, and if all hoofed animals enjoy that kind of attention?

I've always steered clear of bulls or cows with calves though. Only got chased across a field by a herd of protective mammas once, and that was enough

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    Ken,

I love the sheep in particular. It has a wonderful stance. Positively regal

I've always stopped to greet cows, goats and sheep around our way, and they all seem to like being scratched hard on their foreheads. I was wondering if you know why that is, and if all hoofed animals enjoy that kind of attention?

Cheers,

Seri
    Hi Seri
    Thanks for comment. Bruno is a pet sheep who thinks he is a dog. Makes for some interesting situations. And as for our hoofed friends enjoying head rubs? Don't you enjoy having a gentle head massage and a neck rub? I rest my case.
    Ken

Real Name
    John Wright

Wonderful Ken. You and your wife have a great rapport with animals and you're right,talk to them quietly, kindly and they'll recognise that tone and be amiable ..most times. We visited my sister at the weekend and went for a walk in the forest and came across a small dark brown log-haired pig in a back garden adjacent to the narrow lane, an overgrown section of the garden and it came to the wire grunting, obviously pleased to see people so it got some attention and it loved the scratch on the head too (as Seri mentioned) - I even felt badly walking away from it, it clearly enjoyed the attention and certainly the scratch on the head and it looked down the road (a very narrow lane) after us.You wouldn't believe what some locals call it - lol... Pointless pig. It just lives there, not for market .I'll get a photo next time.
    Last edited by JohnC; 31st July 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Hi John
    It just lives there, not for market .I'll get a photo next time.
    Love to see a pic of 'pointless.' We like pigs. Very intelligent animals. We would love to have a miniature Vietnamese pot bellied pig. They make great pets. Unfortunately the breed is not available in Australia. Normal pigs require facilities for their proper care which we are getting too old to be bothered setting up.
    Cheers Ken