Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help. Something fell out of my 5D 2

Real Name
    Seri

Re: Please Help. Something fell out of my 5D 2

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I've 'heard' you talk about how much you love photography, before, Seri, and, I have to say, I relate completely. Absolute love! Actually, for a year, the subheading on my photo journal blog was "it's kind of like a love story".

I hope your baby's okay, now.
    Love? Oh yes. And apart from my daughter and friends this is one that will last forever. What else gives such guaranteed pleasure every time, even though we are never completely satisfied with the results?

It's love at first sight which never fades, and we can't stop talking about our beloved.

So many parallels with 'real' love, but with so much less hassle

Thanks for enquiring about the patient. He came round from the op a short while ago and will be coming with me for a convalescent walk this morning

Cheers,

Seri (who will enjoy looking at your photo journal this afternoon )

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Unfortunately, the "S" in EF-S stands for Short-back-focus - which means that the back of the lens is physically closer to the sensor - and on non-EF-S compatable cameras, the back of the lens hits the mirror.
    Thanks for that, Colin. I think it's a shame that more people don't explain that on the net, because all I'd read was that they simply 'wouldn't fit' which didn't sound as if actual damage could be caused.

Hope it hasn't damaged the mirror or the back of the lens
    Thankfully not. All inside seems to be in good order. I'm assuming it must have hit the screen holder, as I found it had swung down, so I was lucky that didn't break.

Did you try to take a shot?
    No. As soon as I looked through the viewfinder and saw that most of my view was blocked with something I took it straight inside to have a look.

I don't like to think what might have happened if I'd tried to take a shot, especially as I've been using mirror lock-up a lot recently. But I don't really know how enough about the inner mechanism to guess what that would have done.

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Ah, LOVE! It makes living so worthwhile!
    Ah yes. As long as we are very, very careful in our choice of love object

My daughter is now rather miffed about not having the chance to take the camera in. Having lately perfected her flirting skills in theory she now needs more practice, and boys in camera shops over here always seem to have the brains and wit to keep her happy (Don't ever tell her I told you that )

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by hcp474 View Post
    Whilst on the topic of focussing screens, non-OEM ones are available with split prisms and micro prisms. I replaced the one in my 550D (which is not designed to be user changeable, but is in fact very simple to do) it behaves very well when manual focusing,
    whilst using my set of older M42 manual lenses with it. I have stopped using the kit canon lens as i cant get the same control, and it feels to light / plasticy. The only downside is the centre AF sensor gets blocked by the split, but the surrounding ones all work fine.

David
    Thank you very much for the info, David

Before mine jumped out of the camera I knew nothing about focusing screens, and have since been looking at all the different kinds there are. I imagine very few beginners like me know there's a choice, and that they're easy to fit (without voiding the warranty in some cases).

I've very glad to hear that you were able to replace your screen on the 550D.

I noticed that this is your first post, so may I be the first to welcome you to this very friendly and informative forum

Will you be posting some photos soon? No pressure, but I, for one, would love to see them.

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Allner View Post
    I have a 5D mk1 and the same happend to me this is a known fault by canon and they will fix it free of charge
    Hi Ron, and welcome

It's all fixed now, so no need to contact Canon, thank goodness

David's also posted for the first time on this thread, and I've just been asking him if he's going to post some photos soon, so I will be asking the same of you No hurry. Just love looking at other people's photos..

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name
    Patrick (Paddy) Bohan

Hi Seri,
    As a matter of interest, I recently purchased focusing screens (Eg-S and Eg-D) from Warehouse Express and have found the Eg-S one very good when focusing manually, especially in close up work-- it really helps snap the focus point into view.
    Regarding those red dots in Autofocus, I am sure you can reduce them to just one dot by selection. (Ref.pp 81 of handbook).
    Carry on enjoying your 5D MkII
    Paddy

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    Kathy, thank you so much for coming to my aid again
    De nada. Happy to be of help, and glad to hear that everything worked out fine!

Your friend probably remembers some early experiments that were done when 1D owners (the 1D, remember is the 1.3x crop pro body, not full frame like the 1Ds) were intrigued enough to try mounting some EF-S lenses on their cameras, despite the fact that only EF lenses were listed as compatible (mostly, it was the lure of the then-unheard of ultra-wide focal lengths of 17mm and 18mm zooms that enticed). Some of the EF-S lenses actually do not have back elements that will strike the mirror, but are outfitted with an extra rubber "bumper" on them that keeps them from physically being mounted (when Canon idiot-proofs, they go all out).

These enterprising folks found a way to remove the "bumper" off the back of the lens and use it on the 1D. But this is not for the faint of heart or those who fear to void warranties. Madmen only need apply.

I really don't understand what autofocus and all those annoying red blinking squares are for. They just get in the way and never seem to be accurate enough to be useful. I just like to use manual and my eyes...
    You may be a candidate for the madness, then. I have three lenses that are lovely to use on a 5Dii. All three are not in the Canon EOS mount, and have been adapted with a ring. I have no autofocus and no aperture control from the camera. I am stuck with stop-down metering, not wide open. And they are why I learned to love having interchangeable focus screens, because my eyesight is not great, the default matte screen sucks when you're shooting wide open at f/1.2, and a split circle can be a nice thing to have when you manually focus a lot.

My three lenses are a Contax/Yashica-mount Zeiss Planar T* 100/2 (AE version); great 3-d "pop" (I did have to grind down the aperture lever and "sharkfin", though, to avoid mirror collision on the 5D. No such issues on my 50D):

Please Help. Something fell out of my 5D 2

An Olympus OM-mount Zuiko Auto-S MC 50mm f/1.2 (same size as the EF 50/1.8 II; and no, I did not light the tree.):

And a Leica-R Summicron 35 f/2 (version 1):

Hee. hee. hee. Come to the dark side. Read the Fred Miranda Alt. Gear forum for a while... Learn what a manual focus ring can do for you, control-wise vs. these tiny little autofocus throws...

Real Name
    Steve

My advice; unless you got loads o dosh ya don't need, and your not a networker expecting to be bailed out for mediocrity, if both don't apply and you can't afford a new 1Ds tomorrow.

Leave messing around with lenses to idiots that can afford it, and when some of the clever ones actually succeed, take notes and copy.

Who told you ef-s works on 5D Mk ii should be shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12