Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Few From Today

Real Name
    Chris

A Few From Today

I am sure a few of you know I have liking for taking macro shots of Odonata (Damselflies & Dragonflies), today I managed to get out with my camera again, after 5 weeks of illness (nothing serious, just a virus).
    It was a great day as so many larva were crawling out of the water and emerging, sadly they weren't choosing the most photogenic sites but it was nice to get 'clicking' again. I thought I would post a few and see which ones people think are worth me spending some time processing. I have only cropped, performed very slight corrections and sharpened them.

Look forward to your comments.

Chris

A Few From Today

A Few From Today

A Few From Today

A Few From Today

Re: A Few From Today

Interesting shots there, Chris. I think my only slight complaint is with #2 where the stem is a little bright. But better having it like that then risk getting the main subject wrong.

hi chris, wow stunning photos here, may i ask what lense you used for this, im new to photography and trying to find out as much as i can, as this sort of photo realy appeals to me such great detail, i only can dream about taking shots like this

thanks

damien

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Damien

Thanks for you comments.
    I use the Canon 100mm, F2.8 L lens.
    Don't get too hooked up on the lens, in my opinion its not the most important aspect in macro photography. I nearly always use a tripod to ensure there is no camera movement which contribute to sharper images, I focus manually using 'live view' this enables me to choose the exact part of my subject I want my 'depth of field' to cover.

Regards

Chris

Real Name
    Chris

Geoff

I totally agree with you about the bright stem.
    The bright sun brought out so much detail in the insects yet did cause the lighter coloured vegetation to reflect quite badly. When you look closely I think even the bright colours in the background distract the eye as well. Its a nice record shot but doubt, even with the kind of processing that is beyond my abilities, it will ever become a 'good' image.
    These creature have absolutely no idea about how to choose a suitable photographic location to emerge in!

Chris

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Chris! if those things are coming out of the water where you live, no wonder you haven't been feeling well!

Seriously now, those are facinating images and very sharp! No. 2 really tells a story with the molting going on.

Are these dragonflies?

Real Name
    Dave Wilkinson

Chris

I`d just like to repeat whats already been said, Fantastic shots, great subjects, Pin sharp images overall. Yes some are a tad bright but hey you nailed the focus and DOF. Not much more to add, well done mate.

Dave

Real Name
    james

Glad your feeling better Chris, your shots are great