Thread: Canon 28-135 kit lens issue

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Canon 28-135 kit lens issue

I just unpacked and started using my new 7D with 28-135 kit lens. I'm planning on buying a couple "L" lenses soon but got the kit lens so I could play with the camera while I'm in the learning curve and deciding what "L" glass I want.

Out of the box, the lens FALLS open to 135mm immediately when the camera is pointed downward. Is this normal for this lens or should I return it to Canon for service/warranty?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon 28-135 kit lens issue

Hi Bud,

It's called "lens creep", and the 28-135 is known for it, so not a "fault" per sec. You might light to Google it and have a read of other users experiences with it before deciding if yours is acceptable or not.

Its normal with a budget zoom in fact any extending zoom if you try hard enough. Although the way you describe it 'falling ' open is a little worrying. The lens should not creep if held gently downward but any jolt of the camera will cause the lens to extend. Its all perfectly workable once you get used to the kit.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Bud

I had the same sort of thing with the kit 17-85 IS USM that I got with my 40D. I lived with it, but when I had to put it in for a repair (another problem) to the authorised Canon repair centre, it came back much tighter. There's still a bit of creep if you stand there and hold it pointing downwards. As Colin suggests, if it seems very loose, then it might be one to have checked out.

Firstly, Bud, that lens is a bit better than a lot of kit lenses and can produce good work.

I recently replaced mine with the 24-105 L because after 5 years I thought it was starting to get a bit slack in the barrel. However, I just tested it and although I can force the lens to creep with some vigorous shaking it doesn't move on its own.

So I think yours is excessively loose for a new lens.

Real Name
    Kathy

Umm... my 24-105L has lens creep. Every time I leave it hanging at my side, it fully extends. And relatively quickly. I've had it for about four years. It's pretty common with a lot of zoom lenses that don't have a zoom lock. If it bothers me (which it usually doesn't), I just use one of my hair elastics (the kind with the rubberized grippy strip wound around it) around the lens, at the edge of the zoom ring, to create enough friction to keep the zoom from extending.
    ---
    addendum.
    Oh, hey. That was an easy fix. Don't know if the 28-135 works the same way, but on the 24-105, you can peel back the rubber ring on the focus ring (it's like a giant rubber band, it's just stretched and friction-fit), and as you turn the focus ring, the hole will line up with three little screws around the barrel. Tightening them very slightly (1/4 to 1/2 turn worked for most folks) will tighten up the creep. Took about 30 seconds.
    Last edited by inkista; 25th July 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

Hi, I also have the 28x135 and since its sitting here on my desk attached to my 400D/XTI. Working with it for 4-5 yrs and I had no problems with lens creep. Now the Tamron 18x270 is another story, lots of creep. Sent it a repair facily and its better but still has more that the 28x135. Suggest checking out a repair facility and see what they can do for you. Currently shooting the 7D and its just a bunch of fun and learning.
    Take care,

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Thanks for the feedback all. I have been using the lens pretty intensively for a week now and it seems to be even worse. Just a part down tilt and it goes all the way out. I think I'll talk to Canon tomorrow.

I rented a 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS lens over the weekend. What a great piece of gear that is. Now I'm wrestling with myself over whether or not to splurge
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 1st August 2011 at 05:02 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    I rented a 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS lens over the weekend. What a great piece of gear that is. Now I'm wrestling with myself over whether or not to splurge.......
    In my experience Bud, these things are much easier to justify when you already own it

Any other comments on the 70-300 L, Bud.

I eventually persuaded a friend that he needed a decent camera and he purchased a 60D with a 15-85 IS lens. Since then, his photography has taken a great leap forward.

Now he wants something a little longer as well. He has tried my 70-200 L IS but was wondering about the 70-300 which isn't that much more than a 70-200 plus 1,4x converter.

I have read a bit of a complaint here about the tripod lens collar being an optional extra, but that also applies to the 70-200.

So would you recommend him spending a little of his retirement nest egg on this lens? He is in a bit of a dither about it and I don't know enough about the lens to say yes or no. General photography plus some insects, particularly butterflies and dragonflies, and a few of the tamer birds.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Any other comments on the 70-300 L, Bud.

I eventually persuaded a friend that he needed a decent camera and he purchased a 60D with a 15-85 IS lens. Since then, his photography has taken a great leap forward.

Now he wants something a little longer as well. He has tried my 70-200 L IS but was wondering about the 70-300 which isn't that much more than a 70-200 plus 1,4x converter.

I have read a bit of a complaint here about the tripod lens collar being an optional extra, but that also applies to the 70-200.

So would you recommend him spending a little of his retirement nest egg on this lens? He is in a bit of a dither about it and I don't know enough about the lens to say yes or no. General photography plus some insects, particularly butterflies and dragonflies, and a few of the tamer birds.
    Hi Geoff:
    I am a bit in the same situation as your friend. I have been researching Canon "L" lenses for six months. I've read all the reviews on B&H Photo and Amazon. I just rented the 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS for three days over the weekend and put it through some strenuous work on my 7D. I took (mostly hand-held) surfing photos, animals at the zoo, flower close-ups and got "keepers" from all areas. I have to echo the remarks in the review at: http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/e...-6l-is-review/.

The lens is built like a tank. The IQ is excellent, speed is exceptional, IS works great, and weight is comfortable. For my intended uses [surfing shots, wildlife, landscapes] it is a terrific all around lens. I will be buying my own copy soon. And yes, tripod lens collar as an added expense is very annoying, but I want this glass....

That said, I recommend your friend do as I did. Rent it and put it through its paces on his 60D. Since "L" glass is so pricey, a pre-purchase trial is a solid investment.

Here are some photos from last weekend with the lens:

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Follow-up to Geoff:

FYI, after posting your answer I realized I was just dithering regarding my own purchase decision, so I took Colin's advice and placed my order with B&H Photo for the 70-300 4-5.6L IS . Should have it by Thursday!

Thanks for the recommendation, Paul. I have passed it on to my friend.

Those photos look excellent with good colour and sharpness.

I did consider getting a 70-300 when I purchased my 70-200 but they weren't available in the UK then and VAT (UK sales tax) was due to increase by 2.5 % a week later. So I decided to buy what was available and well trusted.

Also, the 70-200 is a handy general purpose walk around lens. The extra 200-300 mm is possibly a bit small for distant subjects or small birds and I have a Sigma 150-500 to cover those subjects anyway. Plus I already had a 1.4x converter for when I did need a little bit extra.

Just an update.

Based on Bud's recommendation, my friend finally finished procrastinating and purchased the 70-300 L lens. He checked out some internet prices then went to a local shop and persuaded them to match the price.

ps. That is 2 sales for Canon thanks to CinC.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 4th August 2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: extra line

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    That is 2 sales for Canon thanks to CinC.
    Ha - more like 2000 over the years!

I wish I was on commission!

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Hi Geoff:
    I hope your friend enjoys his new lens as much as I do mine!

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Just to close this out. I shipped my 28-135 kit lens to Canon for repair. There was more wrong with it than I initially thought. Canon did all repairs under warranty and got it back to me in @ two weeks.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Sounds like a good deal, Bud. Congrats.

Real Name
    Ken

What did Canon say was wrong with the lens?

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

They said "the zoom assembly was loose and the zoom did not operate. The straight keys were replaced and product functions confirmed. Other electrical adjustments, inspection and cleaning, mechanical adjustments and parts replacements were carried out." I haven't shot any pictures with it yet. I assume all is well. At least the lens creep is fixed. They were very responsive when I called in with the complaint and my only cost was the shipping to get it to their repair facility. They fedexed it back to me.