Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Reflections of a Canada Goose

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Reflections of a Canada Goose

Usually I'm looking for specific feedback an an aspect of photography I'm trying to learn. This time I'm looking for what kind if an emotion this image might arouses. What do you see? Is there anything here that you didn't expect? What do you feel is missing that might make this a compelling image?

Thank you for taking the time to consider this capture.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Reflections of a Canada Goose

Frank , i think this is an excellent image as far as the mechanics, but it does not strike an emotion in me. It is very hard to shoot an emotional image. (Most of the time i think it accidental, at least for me.)

Sometimes it the expression on the face. Other times it good eyecontact and a unique pose. Other times it may be a combination of the subject and its surroundings. Sometimes its something we can relate to.

My only suggestion is to watch and wait for the shot that puts some life into it. For example if it was in the middle of calling with its mouth wide open, or something to that effect. I'm not shure if it strikes an emotion or not, but because we are so fimiliar with the call of the goose, you can almost hear it when you view this shot. Reflections of a Canada Goose

Wildlife is alive, photograph it that way.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Steve. That's what I was afraid would happen, but it confirms my suspicions. Thank you for the feedback! If you look closely, you can barely make out my reflection in it's eye as I took the shot. You can also see the ground, trees, even the clouds in the sky in the reflection. I didn't want to zoom in so close that to goose was distorted and like this, the reflection is not obvious. Another lesson learned! Time to move on and try something else.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Steve. That's what I was afraid would happen, but it confirms my suspicions. Thank you for the feedback! If you look closely, you can barely make out my reflection in it's eye as I took the shot. You can also see the ground, trees, even the clouds in the sky in the reflection. I didn't want to zoom in so close that to goose was distorted and like this, the reflection is not obvious. Another lesson learned! Time to move on and try something else.
    Perhaps it's just the small size of the photo. Even looking close , its hard to see with the compressed photo. It prob . shows up much better with your full version.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I agree with Steve. When shooting wildlife, you often wait for a pose or action that might make a good image but it's part luck when the animal displays it and you are able to catch it. In addition to patient observation and having camera and lens ready, you need to shoot a lot to get a few and careful review of your shots will tell you if there is an emotion, feeling or something interesting or special in the shot. I love nature shots so it's worth the time and effort.

Chuck

Real Name
    Seri

Frank, I've never done nature shots (can't afford the bloomin' lenses ) but I do get an emotional response from looking at your image. It's obviously something I'm projecting onto the subject, but for me it looks a bit sad and pensive. It looks as if it's alone. There's also something a bit poignant about the grass and other debris on the beak.

Although a different breed, it reminds me strongly of a lone Brent Goose I used to see on the shores of a very small island near home. It was never with the flock, and I always wondered why. But that's it, isn't it. Regardless of the intent of the photographer, each viewer will have a different emotional response to the image based on their personalities, past experiences with the subject matter, personal symbolism and a host of other factors that come into play.

In spite of my lack of experience, I feel that Steve is right. It must be very hard to deliberately try to go for an emotional shot, especially since the effect will be ruined if the viewer senses that his feelings are being manipulated. However, your shot has a very understated effect. The emotional response doesn't come immediately, but after looking at it for some time. Once seen, it can be immediately recalled on subsequent viewings. That's how it works for me. I don't know if others can see it that way.

Oddly enough, the reflections in its eye played no part in my response, not consciously, that is. But may I ask what emotional response the image evoked in you? Although you said you feared it might not affect others in that way, you must have felt something yourself, or you wouldn't have posted it

Seri

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Seri, although this one was shot at 150mm, there are a lot of wildlife shots you can get with a normal lens so don't let that hold you back from exploring nature.

For me, it was the sadness I initially saw in the eyes. Canadian Geese mate for life and this one was all alone. When I was doing the post processing, I noticed the detail in the reflection in the eye and realized that the reflected image emphasized the sense of loneliness.

Real Name
    Seri

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Seri, although this one was shot at 150mm, there are a lot of wildlife shots you can get with a normal lens so don't let that hold you back from exploring nature.
    Frank, you're right, of course, and I do have an EFS 55 -250mm which I've never used. I could put that on the 450D and cycle out early to take some photos of waders that I've been longing to shoot. OK. I will. Before the week's out I'll have taken my first proper wildlife shots I won't expect miracles. I do know just how difficult wildlife photography must be, but we do have some superb birds around here, so I must make a start.

For me, it was the sadness I initially saw in the eyes. Canadian Geese mate for life and this one was all alone.
    In that case, you did a perfect job of conveying that feeling in your photo. Even though I had no way of knowing the lonely state of the bird, your photo still managed to remind me of the outcast goose I saw thousands of miles away from yours, and sadness was the overwhelming emotion that I picked up on.

There's a lot of debate about whether animals can feel emotions in the way we can, and I suppose that birds' faces can't show their feelings as clearly as some mammals can. But in a more subtle way, it still reads as sadness to you and I, and the effect is intensified when the eye is looked at more closely.

Reflections of a Canada Goose[/QUOTE]

When I was doing the post processing, I noticed the detail in the reflection in the eye and realized that the reflected image emphasized the sense of loneliness.
    Thanks for the close up. And you're right. With that landscape and not another goose in sight it adds beautifully to the whole effect.

Seri