Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... I Was Gifted a Tripod. It Has Been Said I Now Need a Remote Shutter Release

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

So... I Was Gifted a Tripod. It Has Been Said I Now Need a Remote Shutter Release

So... I was gifted a new tripod. It has been said I now need a remote shutter release. I was looking on-line at B&H Photo but I don't really know what I should be looking at. Wireless... Corded... they don't seem very expensive... do they work? I use a Nikon D60.

Thanks for any advice you might give.
    Last edited by ilovelucydog; 23rd July 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: So... I Was Gifted a Tripod. It Has Been Said I Now Need a Remote Shutter Release

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    So... I Was Gifted a Tripod. It Has Been Said I Now Need a Remote Shutter Release. I was looking on-line at B&H Photo but I don't really know what I should be looking at. Wireless... Corded... they don't seem very expensive... do they work? I use a Nikon D60.

Thanks for any advice you might give.
    I am going to sound like a marketer for Promaster but I use the Universal wireless remote (code #9156) by Promaster. Don't bother with the one listed in the camera manual, it doesn't work on the D60.

www.promaster.com

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: So... I Was Gifted a Tripod. It Has Been Said I Now Need a Remote Shutter Release

Get the ML-L3 cordless; it's under $20 and works like a dream for almost all applications. I have used it out to 100 feet from the camera for self portraits and group shots and it works fine. You just have to hold the remote in front of the camera but even for macro it is unobtrusive and I never spooked an insect using it. I miss the unit now I have ungraded my camera and have to resort to a wired remote. I used to have the little remote on my camera strap so it was always there for use, now I have to dig in the bags and screw the thing into the body so it is a much bigger pain to set up.

Buy one, the $20 or so is money well spent and you will love it.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Mmm maybe John is right, check to see if the ML-L3 works for your camera, I was using a D40 so maybe my comments are in error. Mistakes have been made in my past

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I am going to sound like a marketer for Promaster but I use the Universal wireless remote (code #9156) by Promaster. Don't bother with the one listed in the camera manual, it doesn't work on the D60.

www.promaster.com
    Here's the link.

http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...p?product=9156

Real Name

www.promaster.com
    Thank you, John.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Get the ML-L3 cordless; it's under $20 and works like a dream for almost all applications. I have used it out to 100 feet from the camera for self portraits and group shots and it works fine. You just have to hold the remote in front of the camera but even for macro it is unobtrusive and I never spooked an insect using it. I miss the unit now I have ungraded my camera and have to resort to a wired remote. I used to have the little remote on my camera strap so it was always there for use, now I have to dig in the bags and screw the thing into the body so it is a much bigger pain to set up.

Buy one, the $20 or so is money well spent and you will love it.
    Thank you, Trevor. I will buy one (of some brand or another). I think I can splurge.

Mmm maybe John is right, check to see if the ML-L3 works for your camera, I was using a D40 so maybe my comments are in error. Mistakes have been made in my past
    Seriously? You've made mistakes?

Real Name

The 'Universal' not the one that says for Nikon... just making sure.

In some ways, Mary, it depends on what you are shooting.

Originally, I always used a cable release (electric) but found it was too cumbersome for many quick wildlife shots, particularly when manual focusing.

So I did some tests and found that as long as my shutter speed was reasonable (say 1/200 or faster) which was normally the case for these subjects, I couldn't see any differences in my test shots.

At one time I even considered creating a foot mounted switch.

So now, I don't use a switch unless I am going for slow speeds. Using the shutter timer can be an alternative for some circumstances.

Real Name

Thank you, Geoff.

Real Name
    Richard

Hi...

It is absolutely amazing the quality imagery which can be attained with kit lenses (either Nikon or Canon) if stopped down two stops or so and with the camera mounted on a tripod. The top-line lenses will also provide the absolute best imagery under the above parameters.

As Geoff F mentions, a remote release is really only needed for quite slow shutter speeds. Shooting at hand holdable speeds (1/focal length x crop factor) or faster, you really don't need the remote release. However, even shooting at these speeds, the solid hold of the tripod will improve many photographer's imagery.

NOTE: I don't know about Nikon lenses but, with some older model Canon lenses that are equipped with Image Stabilization (Nikon's VR); the IS must be deactivated when shooting tripod mounted (although not when monopod mounted). Newer IS systems can tell when the camera is tripod mounted but, Canon recommends turning off the IS on these systems also (although I don't) to save battery power. I always have one or two fully charged back-up batteries so I don't worry about being miserly with my battery power.

Additionally, when you are shooting non-moving subjects, you can trip your shutter using the self-timer (My Canon cameras have an alternate 10 second self timer choice which is great for this. I don't know about the Nikon cameras).

Some Canon cameras (mainly the Rebels and the 7D) have a built-in infra-red release which can be used with a IR trigger.

The Canon cameras which do not have the built-in IR release can be tripped remotely with a two part release. One part plugs into the socket for the corded release and contains a receiver which hangs down and trips the camera when activated by a corresponding controller.

However even the cameras which contain a built-in IR release can benefit from using the two part release system because the two part release can be tripped from either behind the camera or from the front of the camera; while the built-in IR release can only be easily tripped from in front of the camera. Obviously tripping the camera from in front of the camera is great for taking your own picture and anytime you can have the trigger pointing towards the front of the camera. Tripping from the rear is better for macro shots and night shooting and anytime you cannot be at the front of the camera.

There are also corded release triggers (both for Nikon and Canon) which are physically connected to the camera by an electric connection usually about several feet or so long. The corded release can be operated from in front or behind the camera as long as you are within the length of the cord from the camera. Additionally, when triggering from the front of the camera, you need to make sure that the cord (and obviously you) will not be in your picture.

BTW: I have had absolutely no problems using third party remote releases available on eBay. They have worked great for me and, as far as I know, Canon doesn't supply a two part release system.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 23rd July 2011 at 09:22 PM.

Real Name
    Seri

Hi Mary

I've been looking for a new remote, so your thread has been very useful. But most of all just wanted to say how happy I am to hear that you've been given a tripod. Great news! And hope the inferno is dying down a bit over there by now. Must be the worst weather for photography ever.

Cheers,

Seri

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    Hi Mary

I've been looking for a new remote, so your thread has been very useful. But most of all just wanted to say how happy I am to hear that you've been given a tripod. Great news! And hope the inferno is dying down a bit over there by now. Must be the worst weather for photography ever.

Cheers,

Seri
    Thank you, Seri. Oh my gosh... the heat. Today was 104 with a heat index of 124. Yesterday was 108 and the heat index... geesh. Our area, right here on the coast... NEVER gets like this. It's crazy. But, I think it is suppose to slowly start cooling... a bit.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Hi...

As Geoff F mentions, a remote release is really only needed for quite slow shutter speeds. Shooting at hand holdable speeds (1/focal length x crop factor) or faster, you really don't need the remote release.

Additionally, when you are shooting non-moving subjects, you can trip your shutter using the self-timer (My Canon cameras have a 10 second self timer choice which is great for this. I don't know about the Nkon cameras).

Some Canon cameras (mainly the Rebels and the 7D) have a built-in Infra-red release which can be used with a IR trigger.

The Canon cameras which do not have the built-in IR release can be tripped remotely with a two part release. One part plugs into the socket for the corded release and contains a receiver which trips the camera when activated by a corresponding IR controller.

However even the cameras which contain a built-in IR release can benefit from using the two part release system because the two part release can be tripped from either behind the camera or from the front of the camera; while the built-in IR release can only be tripped from in front of the camera. Obviously tripping the camera from in front of the camera is great for taking your own picture and anytime you can have the trigger pointing towards the front of the camera. Tripping from the rear is better for macro shots and night shooting and anytime you

There are also corded release triggers which are physically connected to the camera by an electric connection usually about several feet or so long. The corded release can be operated from in front or behind the camera as long as you are within the length of the cord from the camera. Additionally, when triggering from the front of the camera, you need to make sure that the cord is not in your frame.

BTW: I have had absolutely no problems using third party remote releases available on eBay.
    Thank you, Richard!

Real Name
    Bill S

Mary,

Also - now would be the time to decide if you want an intervalometer remote. I bought one from a company called Satechi that works great. If you ever see yourself getting into timelapse, or see a need for delayed shooting, X number of shots unmanned, etc... I would consider this kind of remote.

- Bill

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Mary,

Also - now would be the time to decide if you want an intervalometer remote. I bought one from a company called Satechi that works great. If you ever see yourself getting into timelapse, or see a need for delayed shooting, X number of shots unmanned, etc... I would consider this kind of remote.

- Bill

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Don't be scare by it... it still works just as a regular wired shutter remote too. But it keeps your options open (and maybe nudges you in the direction to try your hand at new stuff).

- Bill

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mary, if the shot needs a tripod then it is very likely that a shutter release will help keep the shot steady. I use the Pearstone RS-N2 for Nikon cameras. It is not wireless but at $15 it does everything I need to do.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    (and maybe nudges you in the direction to try your hand at new stuff). - Bill
    CiC needs an animated rolling on the floor laughing hysterically smiley.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Mary, if the shot needs a tripod then it is very likely that a shutter release will help keep the shot steady. I use the Pearstone RS-N2 for Nikon cameras. It is not wireless but at $15 it does everything I need to do.
    Thank you, Frank. Looks like I have a few to look at and think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast