Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stump Cat

Real Name
    Jim

Stump Cat

My wife was out of town and I wanted to take pictures of some of her roses before the deer ate them or they fell apart. We have a stump left from a tree that fell in a wind storm last December. I thought I would put the roses in a vase put them on the stump and try my hand at a still life. As you can see, the cat (Layla) decided this would be a cat photograph instead. I used a Canon 5d, 70-200 f4 L lens, a tripod, remote shutter button, EX580 flash. Stump Cat

Stump Cat

C&C please! I entered the above pic in the contest for July.
    Last edited by knobspinner; 23rd July 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Stump Cat

Quote Originally Posted by knobspinner View Post
    Stump Cat
    Wonderful. Brilliant texture detail on the stump.

The only question I have (because my eye went there right away) - Would it have been an even better image without the gloves? And I honestly don't know the answer. I think a problem is that they're too close to the edge of the frame.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Wonderful. Brilliant texture detail on the stump.

The only question I have (because my eye went there right away) - Would it have been an even better image without the gloves? And I honestly don't know the answer. I think a problem is that they're too close to the edge of the frame.
    My eye went straight to the gloves as well. And while I made the connection... outside, gardening etc... they just didn't seem to work (for me). I love the stump, Layla (she is a beauty), the roses and the background and the filtered sunlight. Nice job.

Haha! We know that isn't a real cat!

Because,.... this is too super! I love all of the elements and the photo gives me the sense of an absolutely beautiful day.

In the first one, I have a question if the line of the stump doesn't cut the photo in half. Also, is it a little washed out? and, I think the gloves do add a bit too much to the composition, although, I'll bet that the cat came and you just snapped the photo while you had the chance? it doesn't look totally haphazard, though - just like they're a bit too close to the frame. I do like it - the filtered sunlight is so peaceful and happy.

I really like the second one, too - I like the composition and the clarity of the stems in the water. The light is a bit harsh and, then, the cat is awfully dark and I wish that the shadow on the cat was a bit lighter - BUT I might be completely wrong about all of that.

I wouldn't mind someone coming along and correcting me - I'm just intermediate-ish, myself.

Very, very warm welcome, Jim, to CiC! It was fun to see these photos, for sure!

wow what a picture makes me so jelous, i can only dream of taking pictures like that, oh and could someone tell me how to post a thread on here please

Real Name

Jim... I just noticed that you are from Olympia, WA.I was raised in Vancouver, WA and my grandparents lived in the Olympia area so I spent many, many a week up there... just spending time with my Grandparents. My grandpa and I would golf at various courses... memories. Welcome to CiC.

Quote Originally Posted by damien View Post
    wow what a picture makes me so jelous, i can only dream of taking pictures like that, oh and could someone tell me how to post a thread on here please
    Hello, Damien! Welcome to CiC!!!

HERE is a link to a thread that is help for downloading photos. All of us have been new and had to take a moment to figure it out but it's really very well worth it. If you have any more questions - don't fret and don't be shy - post them up and someone will come along to help.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Hello, Damien! Welcome to CiC!!!

HERE is a link to a thread that is help for downloading photos. All of us have been new and had to take a moment to figure it out but it's really very well worth it. If you have any more questions - don't fret and don't be shy - post them up and someone will come along to help.
    I was just going to post the same thing. Ya beat me to it, Katy!

Real Name
    Jim

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, I think it might have been better without the gloves. As one of you guessed, the cat wasn't part of the original plan, just decided to join in. Mary, I'll post some Olympia shots for you.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by knobspinner View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, I think it might have been better without the gloves. As one of you guessed, the cat wasn't part of the original plan, just decided to join in. Mary, I'll post some Olympia shots for you.
    I look forward to seeing them.