Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon new AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 macro lens

Real Name
    Ron

Nikon new AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 macro lens

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11...r40mmmacro.asp

I already have the Nikon AF-S 35mm DX1:1.8G lens. Is there any 'value' in me getting this new macro lens ... it will be launched at a very good price.

I mad a 'mistake' a few months back (through my impatience and in spite of good advice from CiC) of buying the 'manual' (on my D3000) Nikon AF 50mm 1:1.8D lens before I got the 35mm AF-S and I don't want to make another poor decision.

So ... I have a new Nikon AF 50mm 1:1.8D lens going at a good price if anyone locally is interested ...

Re: Nikon new AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 macro lens

would you send to the uk, and how much ?

Real Name
    Steve

Unless you have a need for a macro lens, I might think you'd be better served with the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S for $219 US.
    Then get rid of the 50mm f1.8D. That assumes of course you like the angle of view of the 50mm on a DX sensor.

The working distance of the 40mm macro might not long enough for bugs, but would be nice for print work and flowers, etc.
    40mm is too close to 35mm in my opinion if you do not intend to use this as a macro lens. You would not be gaining much.

You could also go for the 60mm f/2.8 macro which is well reviewed, but pricier.

my 2 cents

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by damien View Post
    would you send to the uk, and how much ?
    Hei Damien, thanks for your response.
    I will send you a PM (Private Message) about this ... I don't think CiC would like me to start an auction centre!

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by sleist View Post
    ...The working distance of the 40mm macro might not long enough for bugs, but would be nice for print work and flowers, etc.
    40mm is too close to 35mm in my opinion if you do not intend to use this as a macro lens. You would not be gaining much.
    Good points Steve. The AF-S 35mm that I use can focus reasonably close and of course I can always crop. Problem is that I get 'the itch' to buy 'toys' so I will have to resist ... fortunately its not yet available otherwise

Real Name
    Ron

Didn't hear from you Damien so I will assume you are not interested any more.