Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Wash of Buttercups

A Wash of Buttercups

But, maybe, I should just call it "in the meadow."

A Wash of Buttercups

A Wash of Buttercups

A Wash of Buttercups

What do you think?
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 23rd July 2011 at 01:52 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A Wash of Buttercups

I think, if I may be forgiven for saying so, that this series (well maybe not the 3rd one) has got the wrong title.

I opened it expecting buttercups to be the main focus of my attention. But it is the grasses.

The fact remains that the buttercups are an integral part of the scene, but because of the narrow D0F, only a few of them are in focus and they form only a small proportion of the whole image. So ....... whilst the yellow is important, I don't think it holds up to being, effectively, the name of the images. If it was somethign like 'Grasses and Buttercups', that would have fitted better, I think.
    Last edited by Donald; 22nd July 2011 at 04:47 PM.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think, if I may be forgiven for saying so, that this series (well maybe not the 3rd one) has got the wrong title.

I opened it expecting buttercups to be the main focus of my attention. But it is the grasses.

The fact remains that the buttercups are an integral part of the scene, but because of the narrow D0F, only a few of them are in focus and they form only a small proportion of the whole image. So ....... whilst the yellow is important, I don't think it holds up to being, effectively, the name of the images. If it was somethign like 'Grasses and Buttercups', that would have fitted better, I think.
    I was thinking the same thing as Donald. I was expecting to see a little bit more detail in the buttercups.

Alright, Donald! Will you change the thread title then? How about "a wash of buttercups"? Alright, or, how about just, "grasses"? or whatever....

Mmmmm, what about the photos?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Alright, Donald! Will you change the thread title then? How about "a wash of buttercups"? Alright, or, how about just, "grasses"? or whatever....
    Job done

Mmmmm, what about the photos?
    #1 - I think is super. A lovely balance between grass and buttercups.

#2 - There's a strong line of yellow running up the left-hand edge of the frame that, I think pulls the eye away over there. For that reason, I don't think it's as strong an image as #1

#3 - Is a lovely study of tone and light. But I'm not sure there's a strong enough clear point on which to fix attention.

Job done

#1 - I think is super. A lovely balance between grass and buttercups.
    Oh, good!

#2 - There's a strong line of yellow running up the left-hand edge of the frame that, I think pulls the eye away over there. For that reason, I don't think it's as strong an image as #1
    Yes, there is. but, you mean the one on the right, don't you? I only saw that when I'd entered this post. I wonder if cloning the stem would, actually, help draw the eye back around.

#3 - Is a lovely study of tone and light. But I'm not sure there's a strong enough clear point on which to fix attention.
    I was wondering that, too. I think it might help if that one buttercup, in the upper left "third", was toned down and had more detail. Not only does it have the droplet of water on it, it, also, has a sweet spider's web. I'll work on it some more.

Thanks, Donald. Once again, I was a little scared posting these. I knew what I wanted out of it but it's new for me and I wasn't sure how others would read it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yes, there is. but, you mean the one on the right, don't you?
    No, I mean that swathe of buttercups running from the bottom to the top of the frame up the left-hand side. They combine to make a very strong line.

No, I mean that swathe of buttercups running from the bottom to the top of the frame up the left-hand side. They combine to make a very strong line.
    Hm, yes, I saw those, too, but thought that they went around in an arch.....er, no?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Well, yes.

Remember, my view is only one person's thoughts. The only opinion that matters at the end of the day, is yours.

Well, yes.

Remember, my view is only one person's thoughts. The only opinion that matters at the end of the day, is yours.
    Thank you, but, your insight is so helpful - I can, now, see what I can do to improve it all.

Real Name
    John

It has a dizzying effect trying to focus on the buttercups, but I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    It has a dizzying effect trying to focus on the buttercups, but I still like it.
    There are quite a constellation of them. Maybe, I should never have mentioned the Buttercups.

Real Name

Katy, I think all three have a lovely and ethereal look to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Katy, I think all three have a lovely and ethereal look to them.
    Why, thank you, Miss Mary! It's always a relief to know that somebody just plain ol' "gets it". I can breathe, now.

Real Name

Why, thank you, Miss Mary! It's always a relief to know that somebody just plain ol' "gets it". I can breathe, now.
    You're welcome.

Yes... I 'get' it. I take the same type of shots and process them with a 'sun-kissed or sun-washed' look to them. I don't really know how to describe it... but you know what I mean.