Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waiting for the sun

Waiting for the sun

Hello all!

Haven't posted for a while in CiC. It's summer and time is limited for me here to post but I got the chance to shoot the sunrise this morning. I have some other photos I would like to share some time but they will have to wait. Anyway, here is one for your C&C!

Perhaps the crop is too tight in this one? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Waiting for the sun

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Waiting for the sun

Giannis

That is a very, very nice image.

I don't think the crop is too tigth.

With the person well over to the left hand side, you have opened up the seascape and the sky to allow a good view of those.

A lovely image. Beautifully exposed, in my opinion.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi again Giannis,

I agree with Donald, this is excellent.

My only suggestion for improvement 'next time' would be the sharpening - here it looks to have had a touch too wide a radius applied, there's a distinct light halo edge (about a pixel wide) around the young lady. If it was a RAW capture, you may be able to reprocess, but if jpg, I suspect you're stuck with it.

Definitely one I'd be proud to have taken though, well done,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Giannis, nice lines for the eye to follow, from the girl, down the beach, to the sun, across the mountains, and back to the girl. It keeps your interest!

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Glannis - I agree with the other comments, you have got this one spot on!
    Nice silhouette, wonderful leading lines - the direction of the girls gaze, the ridge line of the distant mountain and the wave line all lead the eye to the brightest and main focal point on the image - the setting sun.

There is also a nice tension to the image - its a peaceful, relaxing scene of a sunset yet the girl stood with her hands on her hips adds an almost impatient feeling to the image.

A very well thought out and executed image.

Regards

Chris

Thank you all for your comments! They definitely keep me going on. By the way, if you find something in the image (or even the whole of it) not working for you, you are welcome to say it (and give it a reason please), no offence will be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    My only suggestion for improvement 'next time' would be the sharpening - here it looks to have had a touch too wide a radius applied, there's a distinct light halo edge (about a pixel wide) around the young lady. If it was a RAW capture, you may be able to reprocess, but if jpg, I suspect you're stuck with it.
    Yes, I see it. Thanks for pointing it out Dave. Unfortunately, I can only shoot in JPG. Sharpening seems hard to get right with the bright areas and the shadows having no middle tones between.

Quote Originally Posted by CBImages View Post
    Nice silhouette, wonderful leading lines - the direction of the girls gaze, the ridge line of the distant mountain and the wave line all lead the eye to the brightest and main focal point on the image - the setting sun.

There is also a nice tension to the image - its a peaceful, relaxing scene of a sunset yet the girl stood with her hands on her hips adds an almost impatient feeling to the image.
    Thanks Chris.
    I'm glad you see it, it was a goal I had in mind.

Another one from last morning.

Waiting for the sun

Your C&C are always welcome!