Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portraiture

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Portraiture

Another opportunity to take portraits with these beautiful ladies.
    (I am sure this time that my next investment is a nice back drop)
    C&C are always welcome.

Cortney
    Portraiture

Lyssa
    Portraiture

Asteria
    Portraiture

Setup: Reflector umbrella with a 580ex II, Gold round reflector, and a painted wall.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Portraiture

Chriss

I'll let the portraitists come in with informed comment and criticism. The first thing that struck me, however, is that in the first one there is a, what seems like, floor to wall transition line cutting into her cheek.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th July 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Thanks for the comments Donald. Yes, it very obvious with the floor to wall transition but here's a photoshop`ed version. I kinda make the floor to wall transition to look like the subjects shadow. Hope this improve this image. Let me know what you think.

ps. note to self: buy a back drop lol

cortney.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 20th July 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Image posted inline

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Crovean View Post
    Let me know what you think.
    Much better. Brings a lot more attention onto the subject. But as I said above, hopefully the experienced portraitists will come in with comments.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chriss, I know little to nothing about portraiture so this may be a dumb question. I have heard the narrow lighting was more feminine and broad lighting more masculine. If I understand the terms correctly, this would appear to be broad lighting. The result looks very nice to my untrained eye, but could you comment on your use of the lighting technique?

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Chriss

i am certainly no pro so please take my comments with a pinch of salt

The first shot looks better now you have softened the wall/floor transition but there is one thing that spoils the shot for me at the moment which is the fact that we appear to be looking right down the yound lady's cleavage. Maybe it's just me but I think the shot would be better with that part cropped out.

The second and third shots are nice, well lit and well exposed but the poses look a little too false to me. Again it might just be me but I feel that there is no personal connection between the model and the camera, but equally no reason why they should be looking elsewhere. Do you know what I mean??

Overall, I really like the detail that you have managed to retain in the hair and all three have great catchlights in their eyes.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Chriss, I know little to nothing about portraiture so this may be a dumb question. I have heard the narrow lighting was more feminine and broad lighting more masculine. If I understand the terms correctly, this would appear to be broad lighting. The result looks very nice to my untrained eye, but could you comment on your use of the lighting technique?
    In comes to technique, i'm not really sure if I am using the right or correct technique, so I guess you can call it cowboy style . My photography skills are self-thought from Collin's portrait lessons to youtube videos.

When it comes to portrait lighting my main thing is if it looks good in the view finder and there's that wow factor from the subject then it's a go!

The setup
    How I set up on this session was the main lighting was always on the broad side of the subject, hence this is what you consider broad lighting. Since I have only 1 flash, my other source was a reflector to the opposite side of the speedlite. Gold colored reflector was my choice since i like how it gives a warmer soft color to the narrow side of the face. I tried the white or silver but I just don't like the effect it gives me.

Another thing I practiced on this session was telling my subject on where to look. So I had them follow my fingers and did a trial and shoot and see how it looks. hehehe It was fun and over all a great experience.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    Hi Chriss

i am certainly no pro so please take my comments with a pinch of salt

The first shot looks better now you have softened the wall/floor transition but there is one thing that spoils the shot for me at the moment which is the fact that we appear to be looking right down the yound lady's cleavage. Maybe it's just me but I think the shot would be better with that part cropped out.

The second and third shots are nice, well lit and well exposed but the poses look a little too false to me. Again it might just be me but I feel that there is no personal connection between the model and the camera, but equally no reason why they should be looking elsewhere. Do you know what I mean??

Overall, I really like the detail that you have managed to retain in the hair and all three have great catchlights in their eyes.
    Aha! I do notice that cleavage now hehehehe here's an cropped out cleavage below:
    cortney1.jpg

Shot #2 and #3 are more directive... was actually shooting this for a hair stylist so I was exploring all the angles I can get. hehehe
    Thanks for the inputs Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images