Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Confused about settings

Real Name
    Gina Bisaillon

Confused about settings

I've decided to start using my Pentax K100 properly but I can't understand how the mode dial works. It seems to me if I select Tv I can't also select Macro, since they're on the same wheel. Am I right?

Thanks!

Gna

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Confused about settings

Yup. You're right. But the Macro mode won't add any capabilities to what you have available in Tv mode. All the Macro mode is doing is trying to increase the depth of field by stopping down until your shutter speed reaches 1/focal_length (i.e., for a 50mm lens, 1/50s).

rob marshall

Re: Confused about settings

Quote Originally Posted by greenhome View Post
    I've decided to start using my Pentax K100 properly but I can't understand how the mode dial works. It seems to me if I select Tv I can't also select Macro, since they're on the same wheel. Am I right?

Thanks!

Gna
    Gina

The preset modes (macro, portrait, landscape etc) on all cameras are intended to reduce the need to make the settings yourself. That's fine if you are a beginner or are just in a rush, but you really want to start using more creative modes such as Av, Tv, or even manual mode. I was going to suggest using AV mode most of the time, but I see that you live in a windy village, so maybe Tv would be better...