Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cadair Idris - a classic North Wales walk.

rob marshall

Cadair Idris - a classic North Wales walk.

It doesn't get much better than this. An almost clear sky, warm temperatures, clear visibility. Cadair Idris is a superb mountain in North Wales. http://www.snowdoniaguide.com/cader_idris.html The views are incredible, and the airy aspect up the west ridge makes some of the best walking to be had in Wales. It's nearly 3,000ft high, and there's just over 3,000 of ascent in total (with various ups and downs). It took Judy and I over six hours, but it was worth it.

All taken on Wednesday this week, using the Panasonic G1.

Llyn Cau - this lake is about 1,500 up, and the ridge and summit basically goes up to the left then across the top to the right to the summit.

Looking across to the summit from the ridge.

Looking down on Llyn Cau from near the summit

The view from the summit. You can see the ridge path snaking up from the left.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Cadair Idris - a classic North Wales walk.

Awesome shots, Rob! I like #2 the most since you have included the human element to the scene. 5 thumbs to this series of shots.

This is absolutely stunning - breathtaking! It looks like you're in the stratosphere. I'll bet there's nothing like actually being there, though.

Great set Rob. I remember it all like yesterday. I have been to a fair few mountainous regions in my time both here and abroad but nothing has quite that feeling of Snowdonia. You have to feel it and smell the sea air mixed with heather and sheep dung but these shots do some justice and the b/w conversion was a great choice. Just the names send a tingle down the spine. I consider one of the great mountain vistas is the Snowdon range is from the Anglesey shore on a cloud blown Autumn day.
    Last edited by Wirefox; 16th July 2011 at 06:37 PM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Awesome shots, Rob! I like #2 the most since you have included the human element to the scene.
    Did you hear that everyone - he's calling the Head Gardener the 'human element' I've called her worse...

Seriously though, thank you for the comments.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Great set Rob. I remember it all like yesterday. I have been to a fair few mountainous regions in my time both here and abroad but nothing has quite that feeling of Snowdonia. You have to feel it and smell the sea air mixed with heather and sheep dung but these shots do some justice and the b/w conversion was a great choice. Just the names send a tingle down the spine. I consider one of the great mountain vistas is the Snowdon range is from the Anglesey shore on a cloud blown Autumn day.
    You are right - there is nothing like it. Whilst 90% of the population fuss and fidget over the latest thangeemajig or trash culture, you really can't beat getting out in what is left of the wild outdoors. Stirs the blood, stimulates the senses, and makes you feel good to be alive.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I'll bet there's nothing like actually being there, though.
    No, there isn't, and I wish you had all been there, rather than having to show you some miserable photos!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

"miserable" isn't how I'd describe them Rob

I think I prefer the first and last best, but the others aren't bad (understatement)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Trying to comment on perfection with only the tool of imperfect words available to one just doesn't really work. So I won't push it; other than to say, " Magnificent!"
    K

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Trying to comment on perfection with only the tool of imperfect words available to one just doesn't really work. So I won't push it; other than to say, " Magnificent!"
    K
    Thanks, Ken. It's a magnificent spot! Here are a couple more.

Between a rock and a hard place.

Looking back at the summit on the way down.

Real Name
    Kay

Beautiful images, this area reminds me of skippers canyon area near Arrowtown in New Zealand - and so glad neither of you ended up trapped in that gorge and needing to remove any limbs with your trusty swiss army knife equivalent (bandages sold separately)

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post

Looking back at the summit on the way down.
    These are all excellent photos, but I don't think that I will ever really understand B&W.

I love this last colour image. I see in colour, I think in colour, and I feel in colour. For me this colour image most rekindles all past experiences of being in the mountains of Wales, as I have been many times. I am not just looking at this scene, but I feel that I was part of it - the exhilaration of the climb, the sense of achievement at reaching the summit, the amazing colours and textures of landscape and skyscape all around, even the sensation of the breeze over the ridge cooling the sweat on face and back.

Beautiful. I wish that I could be there among the colours in all the others too.

Philip
    Last edited by MrB; 17th July 2011 at 10:08 AM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    These are all excellent photos, but I don't think that I will ever really understand B&W.

I love this last colour image. I see in colour, I think in colour, and I feel in colour. For me this colour image most rekindles all past experiences of being in the mountains of Wales, as I have been many times. I am not just looking at this scene, but I feel that I was part of it - the exhilaration of the climb, the sense of achievement at reaching the summit, the amazing colours and textures of landscape and skyscape all around, even the sensation of the breeze over the ridge cooling the sweat on face and back.

Beautiful. I wish that I could be there among the colours in all the others too.

Philip
    Philip

Good comment there. You summed up very well my own feelings about being in mountainous areas. There is just something inspiring and uplifting about the whole experience. Does anyone else find that?

Were we live (near Pembrokeshire) there is some amazing coastal foot-path walking. But it's just not the same as being in mountains. Until this week I hadn't been up Cadair for 32 years. On that occasion I was in a race in March and got caught in a complete white-out on the summit (which I had to go to in order to get tagged). I couldn't see more than 2 meteres in any direction due to snow on the ground, and mist in the air. I was more scared then (of falling off the steep edge) than I have ever been in my life. But I eventually found the hut on top, and the mist eventually cleared. The weather was a bit better this week!

BW is often used for mountain shots. I think it works well as it removes the distraction that is sometimes there with colour. True, colour does make it look pretty, but the BW gives you space to see more of the structure and detail. I suppose it also gives it a more dated 'classic' look.

Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Between a rock and a hard place.
    As has already been said, they all out of the top drawer.

This one? This is a classical beauty. Wonderful.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post

Philip
    Ah, but Mr. B, you do see in B&W as color is merely a value reflection in a certain wavelength of Kelvin temperature. The reality is, we all see the B&W first (well, a great gray scale), then the refelcted values within that spectrum. I am sure Stephany could explain this far better than me, but I'm well within the explanation ballpark.

That said, the lasting impression is not that lovely grayscale, but those reflected values called color. As much as I adore the B&W print, I cannot think of a single image in my life that was in color that I hold a memory of as a B&W. Humans are such odd animals.