Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The old church door

Real Name
    Ron

The old church door

This is a photo of an old church door in St Augustine, Fla.This church is on the grounds of where a spanish mission was built 55 years before the pilgrims landed in this country.There is a cemetary surrounding the church with the founding members of the church are buried.I have other photo's of it but i blew the skys out bad.C&C are very welcome.Thanks...Ron.

The old church door

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: The old church door

Interesting subject to shoot, Ron. I like the colors on this image. I also like the way you positioned the door at the 1/3 focus point at the right side. Subjectively, I was hoping to see more of the building structure so I can find out how the doors complete the scene and make it the main subject. I was also hoping that you blurred the plants on the left foreground giving the image some depth that it needs. The light is a little bit bland for me. It would be nice if there was some late afternoon or early morning light hitting the doors to give it more emphasis and contrast. As a single image, I think it is not that strong. If this was a part of a series of images telling a story about the buildings' history then this image works nicely. I would really like to see some more images of this one in different perspective.

I did some tweaking of my own and came up with this idea. Hope it is OK with you.
    The old church door

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks Willie for the input.I thought about cloning out that flower but i was feeling lazy tonightThe cemetary has some very large live oaks on the grounds and it stays well shaded.I'll post one of the front shots with the blown out skys tomorrow evening.I'm off to bed now.Goodnight...Ron.

Real Name
    Bill S

Ron,

I can only add that Willie did exactly what I would have suggested with his edit! (Great job Willie!) That one flower was just far too distracting for me - especially with its convergence with the main subject.

Nice shot though.

- Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Got to disagree with you on this edit, Jiro...by blurring the foreground flowers, and lightening them, you really draw more attention to that area than to the structure. Lightening the doorway was a great help, as was cloning out the one dominate flower which really pulled at the eye.

Unfortunately, this is one of those shots which simply requires a reshoot and if that is not possible, then a good lesson learned about looking at the entire scene in the viewfinder before pulling the trigger. I've learned far more from my screwups than all the good images I've recently made and while I try to keep them out of the public eye, there are still some of those "keepers" which need a good trip to the dustbin. Hindsight, eh?

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks for the input Chris.i have to post my screw-ups sometimes otherwise i'll never know they are there...Ron.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rasbury View Post
    Thanks for the input Chris.i have to post my screw-ups sometimes otherwise i'll never know they are there...Ron.
    That's my Modus Operandi, as well.

Real Name
    Ron

Here's a shot from the front looking straight on.Still no sky though,i will have to reshoot that this weekend if i make it to St Augustine.C&C are welcome as always.Thanks for viewing...Ron

The old church door

Real Name
    Ron

Finally had a chance to take a photo of the old church in St Augustine.Had storm clouds behind me blocking out some of the direct sunlight.C&C are very welcome.Thanks...Ron.

The old church door
    ISO 200,f/9,1/60 sec,23mm,PP in CS3.